Sola 1200 won't turn on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjr0112

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The light worked fine when I used it last, about a month ago. I pulled it out today to make sure it was fully chared for a trip this week and it won't turn on. It was stored fully charged. When I plugged it in, the light on the charger is green. Any ideas, thoughts?

Hi mjr0112,
Sorry to hear you're having issues charging--I have a couple of quick things to check.

If the Sola hasn't been charged in awhile, and the battery ran all the way down, sometimes the light has trouble "waking" back up. The Sola is designed to "hibernate" in order to conserve battery--so once in awhile, if the battery is run all the way down, it needs a little extra to wake it up.

Plug your charger into the wall. Tap the charger's contacts rapidly against the light's charge contacts for about five seconds, then plug the charger all the way in. This can wake the light back up and start it charging.

Finally, be aware that the Sola can take up to 6 seconds to start charging--if you haven't been leaving it on the charger long enough for the status LEDs to light up, it may just not have gotten started.

You can prevent this from happening by charging your Sola regularly, once every month or two. If you continue to have trouble, contact your Light and Motion dealer to arrange repairs.

Plug your charger into the wall. Tap the charger's contacts rapidly against the light's charge contacts for about five seconds, then plug the charger all the way in. This can wake the light back up and start it charging.

Finally, be aware that the Sola can take up to 6 seconds to start charging--if you haven't been leaving it on the charger long enough for the status LEDs to light up, it may just not have gotten started.

I am having a similar problem with my SOLA 800. It worked fine in Puerto Vallarta in February, and I brought it to Cozumel about two weeks ago. I did not charge it in between, but it was also stored fully charged. The light would not take a charge or turn on. I'll try your suggestion. I left mine plugged in for quite some time while in Cozumel to see if it would "wake up" to no avail. Charger light green, no response from the 800. The unit is just about a year old - purchased for our trip to Little Cayman last August. If it needs out of warrantee repairs this soon after only two trips and barely over one year, well, that would be disappointing. I'll certainly try again to wake it up!

No luck "waking up" the unit. I did get a response - a single steady green light on the unit (along with the green light on the charger). I left the charger plugged in for quite some time, but it never charged, won't turn on, and still shows the single steady green light. Time to send it in :(

No luck "waking up" the unit. I did get a response - a single steady green light on the unit (along with the green light on the charger). I left the charger plugged in for quite some time, but it never charged, won't turn on, and still shows the single steady green light. Time to send it in :(

Hi Qnape,
If you haven't already, open a support ticket at Light and Motion || Support Ticket System and we will get you taken care of.

I am considering buying either a 800 or 1200, I getting a little worried now!

FWIW I have 3 1200 lights and have not had any trouble with them at all, I think they are great lights. I try charge them about every 3 months between dive trips.

Hi Qnape,
If you haven't already, open a support ticket at Light and Motion || Support Ticket System and we will get you taken care of.

Thank You. I've returned the light through my LDS where I bought it (Blue Water Divers, NJ). It's only been a week or so, so I'll wait to hear how it goes. I'm looking forward to using it again at Little Cayman this February!

FWIW, the guys at my LDS mentioned that they have seen VERY few problems with these lights. We are hoping it will require battery replacement only. No sign of flooding or any other problem. This time I will make a point of charging it between trips from time to time as suggested.

Update - I've received the light back from my LDS - it works fine now, and I'll be charging it once a month from now on as I have seen suggested. Looking forward to diving it again in Little Cayman in February - they are great lights. Best part is that there was no charge - my LDS even picked up the shipping. I'm very pleased! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom