Sola Spot Only Lights - Please share your experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterViz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I use a Sola 1200 S/F, with the spot LEDs only putting out 500 lumen. Really like the light for its versatility and spoiled by its hand strap mount. Only wish its got stronger spot mode which I use 99% of the time in our murky waters. 15' viz is pretty good for us; it often gets below 5' in the shallows in the summer.

Sola has a "Sola Dive 1200 Spot" which I found little information on this board; there is also a brand new "Sola Pro 2000" (8 degree spot only) coming out from Sola. I'd appreciate any personal experience you could share.

For the Sola Dive 1200 Spot:
How strong is it in bad viz? Can you get your buddy's attention easily at 15' distance in poor viz?

Anyone tried the Sola Pro 2000?
Is the 8 degree beam too narrow for looking at sea life?

I'd like to hear any experience you had with these lights.

Thanks.

My dive buddy bought the TL4800P a few months back; it is very bright but heavy and the handstrap does not work with his dry suit because the long light interfere with his drysuit "cuff". If you dive in wet suit, interference wouldn't be an issue.

Light&Motion has a test site where various lights are tested according to the FL-1 standard. Take a look at the BigBLue test results. It does not have the exact model you are looking at but it has the TL2800P and a few others tested. If you read L&M's explanation of the FL-1 standard, it shed some lights on the lumen claims: not all lumens are created equal.

I deal with a lot of Asian vendors in my work; they have a certain type of philosophy in their approach to quality/specifications which permeates through BigBlue's offerings. (It smells familiar to me; but I obviously don't have proof; only speculating here.) Don't get me wrong, these products work most of the time at lower prices; it might suit many people's needs just fine. As long as you understand what "lumen" you are buying, there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, if I am considering a BigBlue, I would seriously consider taking a chance on some of those super cheap dive lights you can get from Amazon; they are cheap enough to throw away one or two and still "break even"; but you also have a chance to get lucky and get the first one work "great", for a while at least. (But don't do it if you are serious about tech diving or overhead environment.)

I had major problems returning a light that I bought from Ligjt and Motion! One of the worst customer service experiences in my life. I bought the light directly from Light and Motion and It never worked! I returned the light in its original package and I'm still fighting with them to receive credit. Beware Light and Motion customer service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom