Sola Tech 600 Alternative Handle and D-Ring Mount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawlu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently acquired a second hand Sola Tech 600, I would like to know if anybody has had any success attaching a solid "Goodman" style handle to one of these lights. I would like to find a way to easily remove the light and attach it via a snapbolt to my chest d-ring while diving. The Velcro wrist mounted strap that comes with it does not allow for easy removal of the light while diving. I understand that Light & Motion make a T Handle type grip which might be an option, however I am not sure if the handle will work with thick gloves, it still does not allow one to easily clip it securely to a d-ring via a snap bolt.

T-Handle Option..

https://lightmotion.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200307194/T-Handle_1.JPG

Kind of handle I had in mind:

http://www.sea-sea.com/images/1518.jpg

Thank you.

Thank you for your tip, Quote "I also use a QRM hand-mount for my SOLA Tech, so if it were to fail I can remove it, clip it off, and move the helmet SOLA to my hand to finish the dive." This is pretty much the functionality that I am looking for except in my case as a non cave diver I am simply looking for a way to quickly clip off my light if not required.

Is this the product you are talking about: http://www.diverightinscuba.com/cat...4a0/d/i/diveriteqrmcompletesidepic2tiny_1.png

Or this? http://cdn3.volusion.com/5jry5.n45vo/v/vspfiles/photos/DR-LT6121-QRM-UNI-3.jpg?1424339306 ?

I noticed the second image has a clip on the side where one can attach a snapbolt, how did you actually attach the Sola to the QRM Hand mount, did you have to make modifications to the light? In the post you provided you made modifications to attach it to your helmet but in the case of the QRM-hand mount what was required?

Thanks again.

The Dive Rite QRM mount has two parts that fit together. The part that attaches to the light is the male part; the part that goes on the Goodman handle or soft handle or helmet is the female part. Your first link shows both parts together, mounted on a soft handle. The second picture shows only the female part on the soft handle.

In that thread referenced earlier, I show the male part attached to the SOLA, which requires no mods to the SOLA but does require the L&M D-ring adapter that fits into the bottom of the SOLA, and that part gets modified. The advantage of the QRM is you can take the light off the soft handle and stow the light somewhere else. I stow it on my helmet, by putting it into a female QRM I've mounted there. You could stow it to a D-ring on your BCD/Harness; a double ender could go between the small D-ring on the SOLA and the BCD D-ring.

I've just placed a double ender around the fabric of the handle and then clipped it to my d-ring.

No problems with my marigold drygloves using the fabric handle.

Sola.jpg

It is a little bulky.
Not any more so than the two metal goodman handles I have for a can light and DRIS 1000.

I find removing it from my hand pretty straight forward.

On another note - Light and Motion does have a d-ring kit for the Tech 600 included with the new lights.
I could not find a separate listing for the kit in their website accessories section.
Might be worth an e-mail to them.

Thanks Ken I actually purchased the light second hand so it did not come with the d-ring kit which I aware of, the stupid part of the dring kit is that it's either or, you cannot have it with the handle that it comes with and the dring at the same time which is why "tursiops" above modified it to work with the Dive Rite QRM kit.

I have the first generation Sola 1200, it came with just 2 narrower strips of velcro, I didn't like it at all, removed them and simply installed bunggie cords on it, just like we do with compasses and computers, one bunggie goes behind the thumb, on the wrist, the other on the palm, very stable and very easy to put on/take off. Mine has a small D ring on the back of the saddle handle where the old velcro strips were attached, that's my bolt snap attachment point.

This is the link to the newer GOodman adapter for the newer solo bodies: Goodman Handle Adapter - Light & Motion

---------- Post added April 9th, 2015 at 04:37 PM ----------

According to L&M I can screw the rectangular shaped adapter (shown in the middle of the picture) into the body of the light toward the South end of the adapter you can slip a dring below it (see notch) that will secure the dring to the body of the light. I would then need to find a handle that would screw into the thread on the adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom