Solenoid Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UW Stig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My Nerd Divecan is giving this error (and not firing the solenoid). I've tested the solenoid and it works correctly when a 6vdc is applied.

What are the causes for this Solenoid Alert?

Can you show the error with a pic?
Or maybe a screenshot from the Shearwater manual?

Open a Conversation with me if you need help uploading a picture.

What unit is this on?
DIVCAN on the NERD is only a communication with the other half of the system that drives the solenoid. Not sure what the solenoid driver is. Shearwater makes one that runs on a 9V battery with a 6.5V lower limit (while solenoid is firing). Or this may be connected to whatever rebreather manufacturers solenoid control system you have.

It looks like the NERD is giving a diagnostic message for the unknows other half of the DIVCAN system you have.

I have had this error as well.

It is possible that your solenoid has an intermittent failure. My issue was an intermittent connection between the electronics housing and the solenoid jack, most likely in the solenoid jack itself. The type of rebreather you have will determine exactly how you check for continuity between those points.

Most likely, the issue is not caused by Shearwater, and would be better addressed to the rebreather manufacturer. If you share more details here, we can move the thread to that MFG forum if it exists, if that seems more likely, and if you prefer that.

Getting that error underwater a handful of dives after certification was a great life lesson and I had a fun time flying manually. In my case, the issue was intermittent, and it resolved itself, then failed again, highlighting the importance of watching your pO2 and situational awareness. I love hearing that solenoid click and seeing those green blinks! Maybe an opportunity for a meditation app...

Here's a shot (tough to do with a NERD) of the screen

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_145505.jpg
    IMG_20200708_145505.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 138
What unit is this on?
DIVCAN on the NERD is only a communication with the other half of the system that drives the solenoid. Not sure what the solenoid driver is. Shearwater makes one that runs on a 9V battery with a 6.5V lower limit (while solenoid is firing). Or this may be connected to whatever rebreather manufacturers solenoid control system you have.

It looks like the NERD is giving a diagnostic message for the unknows other half of the DIVCAN system you have.
Hi, this is on a Revo 3. When I look at the bus devices it says SOLO (v10). The only other device is the Nerd itself. Yes, this has the Shearwater battery box, which I guess contains the SOLO board with a (new) 9V installed.

As others have said, consult your RB documentation. For my JJ, the possibilities are pretty broad, but none can really be ignored, especially if the alert repeated, or occurred after a battery change.

My manual reads, "A “Solenoid Alert” indicates that an electronic fault has been detected in the solenoid circuit. This could be caused by a low external battery, a disconnected battery, a wiring fault (such as corroded connections), a problem with the solenoid, or a problem with the rebreather’s electronics."

I don't know much about the Revo, but that has the Jaksa solenoid with the 2 individual pins to connect to the solenoid control board, right? If so, that's easier pin setup to read than o2ptima :)

So you connected a 9v to the pins to the solenoid and it fires,
Did you try reading with a DMM to see if it's sending correct voltage from the board when you switch to high SP? It should be 0, then jump up to match the cell voltage when it fires every few seconds.
What happens if you wiggle connections and twist wires? If you can find a wire that when you bend it, it stops or starts sending voltages, then that's your problem. If not, and you have no voltage from the SOLO, then you have some issue with the Solo board.

You have a new 9v, but double check that voltage too incase it's a defective cell. And the connectors are gold plated, but you could clean with a Deoxit and a pipe cleaner--at the Divecan fittings as well as the solenoid--and reassemble with the Dow Corning, to rule out a poor connection.

I don't know much about the Revo, but that has the Jaksa solenoid with the 2 individual pins to connect to the solenoid control board, right? If so, that's easier pin setup to read than o2ptima :)

So you connected a 9v to the pins to the solenoid and it fires,
Did you try reading with a DMM to see if it's sending correct voltage from the board when you switch to high SP? It should be 0, then jump up to match the cell voltage when it fires every few seconds.
What happens if you wiggle connections and twist wires? If you can find a wire that when you bend it, it stops or starts sending voltages, then that's your problem. If not, and you have no voltage from the SOLO, then you have some issue with the Solo board.

You have a new 9v, but double check that voltage too incase it's a defective cell. And the connectors are gold plated, but you could clean with a Deoxit and a pipe cleaner--at the Divecan fittings as well as the solenoid--and reassemble with the Dow Corning, to rule out a poor connection.

Thanks JahJah- yes, Jaksa solenoid with the gold connectors. The connectors all look good, nice and shiny. I did hook a DMM up to the leads that go to the solenoid, but only got trace voltages (<1v), but it's hard to get a good connection to those pins.

I opened the Divecan connection and it looks great as well. I'm starting to suspect the solo board, which I read elsewhere has a firmware of V10 (or more0), but mine is V07. No clue as to how to upgrade the firmware on it.

I will examine those leads- tiny wires, I guess easy for one to break.

Back
Top Bottom