Solo Death Criticism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree (if only in principle) with the bit about not needing formal education in things.

Couple examples.

1) Brain Surgery. Would someone attempt brain surgery because some quack said "here, let me show you how" ?

2) Learning to Drive a car. I'm currently teaching my daughter to drive a car because she's 20 and never had the opportunity to take a HS class. We started slow, on side streets with very minimal traffic. Thankfully, she's a natural and is doing great.

IMO..cave diving (not the intro part where you can still see light and the entrance) is more like example 1 than example 2. Sure, in the old days people had to learn on their own and then mentor those that came after. What other choice was there? I've not looked up the stats on early deaths..but I'm sure they're significantly higher than they are now.

We don't really live in an age where the envelope needs to be pushed. Training exists for a reason. I don't know if we'll ever know the full scope of what went wrong, and its possible that training wouldn't have made a diff if it was equipment related..but even so.

I have a real problem with pointless, senseless deaths.

(because he/she was solo diving and there's no real formal training for solo diving)

Why yes..yes there is. It may not be widely accepted as a legitimate cert, but its there. Sooner or later all agencies are going to realize that it happens and get on board. but one agency does offer the cert, and I plan on taking it just as soon as i get new gear.

most of its common sense though. basically, redundant everything. Pony bottle, extra lights if night diving, multiple signal devices, and above all...don't go beyond your personal limits.

I would probably criticize this diver for not having adequate training for a significant cave dive. Personally I avoid all but the easiest penetration dives despite nearly 50 years of experience. Quite frankly, there is only one thing I like penetrating anyway...

Solo diving in this case was probably a very wrong choice (as born out by the result). However, I have solo dived since my first experience on SCUBA in 1961 (we only had one tank and reg). Based on my personal statistics, I feel much safer on a solo dive than I do buddied up with someone I'm not familiar with.

While training or experience and proper redundancy are important criteria for solo diving, I find the most important thing is how one responds to unexpected emergencies. I've only had three "serious" incidents in my decades of diving, all OOA situations (two of which were out of my control). During those and other dives requiring decisive action, I have found myself not to panic and to remain calm and rational in dealing with them. To me, knowledge of how one responds to incidents is a very important, and often overlooked, criterion top determine if you are ready for solo diving. All the training in the world and redundant gear won't help you if you panic and ascend too rapidly.

Right..but the training can introduce you to possible or likely issues that might come up and provide the knowledge needed on how to resolve those.

OP, I think you are a bit off base. This man did not die because he was solo diving. I don't think anyone is blaming his death on solo diving. He died because he chose to break into areas that he was in no way able to dive safely. He was not trained even close enough to attempt this dive, nor had he been "mentored." He was arrogant and had a much over-inflated opinion of his skills, experience, and knowledge. This killed him. People have stated that because he was solo, no one knows his true entry time and day, or real choices. He didn't tell anyone what, when, and where he was solo diving. This was yet another problem he created. No one actually knows what he did or when. We are now trying to fill in the gaps. They did not blame solo diving in itself. In fact, several accomplished cavers said that they dive solo on certain caves because it is safer to have the extra maneuverability to turn without another diver there.

Though I am an SDI and TDI instructor, I am by no means qualified to dive these caves. I have many certs and tons of experience, however my technical knowledge does not extend to caves. As a result, I would leave them alone.

I am wise enough to know that mentors are fantastic, once you have trained formally. Why stumble along hoping to get it right when we can fully train? I happen to like my life, friends, and family. I plan to always come back to them. I will never dive beyond my training or abilities. I wish everyone had the same philosophy.

Last edited:
This is Solo diving. We've taken it up a few notches. We're not following the rules. Some of us will undoughtily die doing it.

What rules? Solo diving is not a bad thing. In fact, solo diving can be safer in some situations. Many of the cave dives I do are safer alone than with someone else. Had this diver been a trained and experienced cave diver, the dive he was attempting would have been safer alone. I was in there with other divers as part of the recovery team. We had to separate during at certain points because of the make up of the cave. This was all planned. I've been in passage before with other divers where I found myself wishing it was a solo dive because when the separation occurs I now feel responsible for waiting or helping my buddy. As a solo diver, I leave when I'm ready. As a buddy diver, leaving before my buddy returns would weigh me down with a lot of guilt. Fortunately, I've never had to do that, but it's one of the reasons I prefer to solo dive in the really small passages.

There are no rules in solo diving. N

Uh-oh. I think I broke that one.

No :).

No rules, just sort of guide lines.

On a serious note, I am sorry the man died in the Vortex cave, it is always sad to hear of such things, bless him and his family and all involved.

N

What rules? Solo diving is not a bad thing. In fact, solo diving can be safer in some situations. Many of the cave dives I do are safer alone than with someone else. Had this diver been a trained and experienced cave diver, the dive he was attempting would have been safer alone. I was in there with other divers as part of the recovery team. We had to separate during at certain points because of the make up of the cave. This was all planned. I've been in passage before with other divers where I found myself wishing it was a solo dive because when the separation occurs I now feel responsible for waiting or helping my buddy. As a solo diver, I leave when I'm ready. As a buddy diver, leaving before my buddy returns would weigh me down with a lot of guilt. Fortunately, I've never had to do that, but it's one of the reasons I prefer to solo dive in the really small passages.

I remember one dive when you almost could not leave :D

I remember one dive when you almost could not leave :D

Yeah...next time I'm bringing up the rear on the way in! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom