solo dive from a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, with all these lines running to a diver he would look like a fullsize marionette (sp?) and be an entanglement hazard from the bowels of the pit. Where do I sign up??

Peace,
Greg

It's the underwater equivalent of flying one of those stunt kites.

controlbasics.gif

I know it's anchored to the bottom and you aren't tied to it, that's why I suggested not anchoring the boat and tying yourself off to it so it goes where you go, or vice versa depending on the size of the boat.

If it's a large boat, you could rig a series of ropes...say one for throttle and 2 for the rudder and steer it from the bottom.

And what do you plan on telling the owner of the boat you run into because you didn't see his boat... :shakehead:

And what do you plan on telling the owner of the boat you run into because you didn't see his boat... :shakehead:

I'd see his boat with my periscope.

the other driver has eyes too. he should have moved right? HA!

the other driver has eyes too. he should have moved right? HA!

Yeah if I saw a boat coming at me with no driver and a bunch of ropes coming out of the bridge I'd move out of the way too.

On Lake Pleasant there are a few boat drivers out there that would cut the ropes...

if you had your own boat and wanted to solo dive, would you take your boat out and tie it off and take a plunge?

i have a 19ft champion bass boat. i want to dive some spots at local lakes and want to take my boat. so here is the question. would you solo dive from your own boat and leave it unattended? or even a buddy dive for that matter. if so what percautions would you take? if you have done this what, if any thing, bad has happened cause of it? if gone out fishing and wanted to take a swin but im on the surface more often than not and could quiclky respond if the boat came loose. but if im in less than 50 ft and the weather was calm and i had tied on good, why shouldnt i go?

I do own a boat, and under certain circustances would be comfortable leaving it unattended to dive either solo or with a buddy.... but those circomstances don't exist on the side of the island I live on (windward side of Hawaii Island).

On the leeward side (Kona side) there are fixed moorings that are there specifically for dive boats to tie-up to so that they wont drop anchor on the reef.... I'd "consider" it at one of these moorings since the water is generally calm and minimal current... except.... the risk of other "humans" messing with an empty boat.

While the vast majority of boaters here in Hawaii are "normal" folks who would not mess with a moored boat, all it takes is one....

Best wishes.

if you had your own boat and wanted to solo dive, would you take your boat out and tie it off and take a plunge?

If you are OK with swimming back to wherever you came from, go for it. I solo from my boat all the time, but always have a tender. We dive in the Great Lakes mind you, and often a long way out.

To be honest, I would be concerned about someone coming along and messing with my boat or the anchor.

The best way to get back to the boat is put weightbelt on bc, inflate fully, smb inflated. you can move through current pretty easy with flippers and a mask, and go pick up gear when onboard.

After a few times you will see the different ways of doing it solo, most important if you have any hesitation to not do it don't. Now I do and it turns out to be alot of work, yet its a new experience, so I enjoy it. These are usually solo spearfishing adventures.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom