Solo Dive Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While Egypt and SE Asia would be obvious choices, may I suggest Sri Lanka and Oman which, in my opinion, offer excellent cost-benefit ratios as well as a wide variety of topside attractions?
Oman - Muscat area - Yes
Oman - Musandam - Yes, but can be challenging
Oman - Mirbat (Salalah) - Yes, but Orca is not a safe operator

GJS

Any recommendations for resorts in Puerto Galera for solo travellers? I've always wanted to go there. :)

Go with Atlantis Resort they hosted this years Scubaboard Invasion and were First Class.
I cannot say enough good things about them.

Any recommendations for resorts in Puerto Galera for solo travellers? I've always wanted to go there

I have only used Asia Divers (El Galleon) and Atlantis.

In my own experience Asia Divers is better although the accommodation not as lavish as Atlantis who were charging double that of Asia Divers 3 years ago.

If you fancy a trip to Puerto Galera then consider a trip to Marco Vincent dive resort, we are very close to the White Beach area which is one of the most famous beaches in Mindoro. We also run dive safaris to Apo Reef and Coron Bay starting in late November. Let me know if you would like some more information and i'll be happy to help.

There is NO reason to stay at White Beach if you are diving the sites around PG unless you prefer the extra travelling time! All the operators based around PG do only one dive and then return to base except the special trip to Verde Island.
Anyone planning to stay at White Beach should find out the dive schedule FIRST.

What's breaking the bank for you?

The PI has some of the most affordable diving depending on location.

Indonesia offers all kinds of choices, of them Bali is the cheapest, Komodo offers great diving for the cost, Lembeh can be done affordably if your into muck/macro, the list goes on and on. I favor Indonesia heavily in my choices for trips as it has great diving for affordable prices.

I have really fallen in love with Indonesia and the Philippines on past trips. Bali was a favorite for sure, and I think for my first solo trip will be a repeat of Tulamben and Padang Bai. They're both places I felt comfortable with, and I would like to experience again as a more experienced diver. I remember the first night dive I ever did, and coming up under the stars. It was breath taking.

I was recently at Two Fish in Lembeh and was unfortunately taken down with an awful ear infection, so I didn't get to do quite as much diving as I'd have liked, but I'd go back. The critters were amazing and I'd love to go with my camera again. :)

Searcaigh already responded regarding Oman.

Sri Lanka offers some exceptional diving (location wise, it's in the Indian Ocean so, underwater life-wise, it is very rich) and in terms of cost, it certainly won't break the bank. Like the rest of the region, it has two seasons - you can dive the W/SW part of the island between Oct-Apr and the E/NE Apr-Oct. I've only been to the W/SW part and can highly recommend the divesites around Galle and Unawatuna, as well as in Colombo/Negombo. The E/NE part of the country is less developed but apparently there's some good reef diving (as well as some world class deepish wreck diving). This website (Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving ship wrecks and coral reefs in paradise!) has plenty of information.

MasterChief D, are you able to compare your Sri Lankan dive experience with the Maldives and/or North Sulawesi? TIA

I have really fallen in love with Indonesia and the Philippines on past trips. Bali was a favorite for sure, and I think for my first solo trip will be a repeat of Tulamben and Padang Bai. They're both places I felt comfortable with, and I would like to experience again as a more experienced diver. I remember the first night dive I ever did, and coming up under the stars. It was breath taking.

I was recently at Two Fish in Lembeh and was unfortunately taken down with an awful ear infection, so I didn't get to do quite as much diving as I'd have liked, but I'd go back. The critters were amazing and I'd love to go with my camera again. :)
Hi again

Sounds like the trip is well sorted. Can I ask where you stayed in Padang Bai ? I'm off there and Lembeh in February and am booked into OK divers. Also I got an amazing fare with Emirates yesterday....LGW to Denpasar for £480 return.

Have a great trip

Back
Top Bottom