Solo Diver and Diver Locator/Transponder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver,

There is a hybrid option. The Lynx computer uses the AI (Air-Integrated) acoustic wireless transmitter on the first stage to send a signal to the wrist unit, which happens to have a 100 Meter/328' minimum range. Each transmitter has a unique ID and the wrist unit has a locator function with a bearing and distance function. As a result, the location function is a convenient byproduct of the AI transmitter's primary job of sending cylinder pressure to the wrist computer. No extra equipment required and is constantly tested for function by virtue of getting a tank pressure reading.

Now if we could only get all the AI computers on the same page the job would be nearly done. Some reports indicate the transmitter signal has been readable up to a mile away, under ideal conditions.

Having used the first solution many times, the units can be fickle. I'd say about 20% of the time the unit will find a way to switch off or give you activation problems.

Thanks, TraceMalin. Good to know. 20% is extraordinarily (unacceptably?) high for this type of device, I should think!

Thanks, TraceMalin. Good to know. 20% is extraordinarily (unacceptably?) high for this type of device, I should think!

I think it is more a physics problem than quality. Low power acoustic signals are easily blocked by human bodies, pinnacles, wrecks, caves, etc. Putting the pinger on your chest and laying on the bottom is enough to block any of them.

Sometimes, the magnetic switch was a problem. Sometimes, the contacts and battery wouldn't mate correctly. Sometimes, the transmitter would switch off out of the blue. Occasionally, bumping the unit such as walking with it clipped inside a cargo pocket of a drysuit to the water would cause the contact to be lost.

I mean, it is a pretty good device. I've used it a couple hundred times. But, the best solution to the problem of having your body recovered is for you to recover it yourself by walking out of a dive quite alive.

Back
Top Bottom