Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am diving 30nm from shore you can rest assured that I will be carrying several signaling devices.
Me too, but she's an experienced spearfisher, and I think that they try to minimize carrying extra tools.

“MMEA Sarawak deputy director of operations Capt Yousry Yaali said details have emerged on the 31-year-old in terms of her and other divers’ activities in the area. How she dived, the equipment that she wore while diving like the wetsuit, the oxygen tank, and its type of material, the probability of the victim getting stuck or drifting or drowning, hopefully the victim will emerge.”

She must have dove shallow (<6m) to use Oxygen tank. Another erroneous info. MMEA deputy director doesn’t know about what is the proper gas diver use?

It doesn't matter whether they had heard whistle/gas being discharged, equipment used etc etc.
Unless she is on dry land or there has been a lot of rain over last 3 days. Finding her alive is pretty slim.
Hope for miracle.

Common mistake by plenty non-divers on the actual content of a scuba tank.

Searching the bottom is more challenging than surface searches, and survival is not at all likely.

Yes. It’ll be for a body recovery & closure. After 3 days of searching, what is the odds of survival?

"Everyone also heard the sound of exhausted oxygen tanks, but they couldn't find the exact place. They only returned to the dock immediately and arrived at the dock at 8 o'clock in the evening. They called the relevant rescue unit for help."

It does sound odd to return immediately to the dock, 23 nautical miles away, instead of searching for her by going with the surface current for some time. May be they were short on fuel.

I am pretty sure the wind speed was never 270 - 315 knots
LOL The highest category 5 hurricane is 156 mph, which would be about half of that Sarawak taiphoon.

Yes. It’ll be for a body recovery & closure. After 3 days of searching, what is the odds of survival?
Yeah, she was lost Saturday afternoon and it's Wednesday morning there now. Three days without drinking water is tops I think.

Back
Top Bottom