Solo diving and back up gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, when the 0-24 dives diver gains some actual experience they are welcome to criticize, especially someone who has been diving for more than twice as long as you've been alive. Until then, it just sounds rather foolish and will garner nothing but derision. Digging up a 7 year old thread to post such foolishness into just gains you more of the same.

So as car's become safer, ie. more air bags ect., your going to only drive older cars that don't have airbags because its worked for you so far? You can have all the skills in the world, but taking unessassary risks just comes down to pride one way or another. I'm glad its worked for you thus far, but your life must not mean that much to you if skill is the only thing you'll depend on. Sooner or later Everyone's skills run out.

---------- Post added ----------

The people that regret the things they haven't done are the one's who live to regret it. If your dead its hard to regret.

In what way has dive gear, regulators specifically, become safer in the last 20 years?

I suspect the answer is nada. The only real change is price and glitter.

In what way has dive gear, regulators specifically, become safer in the last 20 years?

I suspect the answer is nada. The only real change is price and glitter.

Oh come on now, remember the Apeks status first stage? That was a big step forward in dive safety, when it worked that is. lol

How about those goofball puck octos, you know the ones that breath worse than a first generation air 2.

trust me, I know that I am far from knowledgeable about diving, and I don't want to come off as arrogant or anything, but I dont have to have thousands of dives to use common sense or logic. I'm not saying that regs, for instance, are better now than then, but I am saying that when you have the chance to be safer and choose not to "because that's the way I've always done it" its just foolishness. If you have the availability to use gauges, or some sort of redundant air source, or whatever it might be....why not? Also, this is just a side thought, but when others who are new to diving look to people who have tons of experience and say I want to be like that, you dont want to set the idea that I dont need anything that promotes safety.

As I posted in another thread recently, I don't think we should be giving advice here. We only relate our personal experience. Some peoples experience has been that they can dive safely without spg's, bc's and octo's. That isn't because they are super men or women but because they have adopted a manner of diving that allows for this. There are skill sets and those divers probably have developed them. You have to take everything in context. If someone wants to dive like divers did in the past then they need to look at the whole picture and not just try to copy someone they read about on the internet.

The number one trait that a solo diver should adopt is personal responsibility and this extends to how we digest information we read regarding techniques and configurations. Someone who needs to be protected from the ideas expressed here probably doesn't have the discernment needed for solo diving but it is not our jobs to limit our discussions because of it. It's their job to accept they are not yet at that place.

To progress we should not pull the experienced down to the beginners level - the beginner should raise themselves towards the experienced.

You resurrected an ancient thread to make an uninformed comment, that's why you were flammed. There is nothing new in the physics of regulator design that would make a better regulator. Where the improvements come from is from refinements and better materials. There are better regulators sold than a Mark 5 / 109 combo, but the better ones are NOT significantly better and there are quite a few dogs out there. This is a solo diving forum, so without a buddy regulator reliability is more important that a small improvement in work of breathing. Remember it is always better not to have to use any safety gear.

You seem to be a newbie and fresh out of dive shop training, this is an excellent resource for new divers I wish there was a Scubaboard when I was starting out.

DaleC always a master of calm reason.

After reading his posts and profile, part listed below, I haven't yet decided on Troll or clueless. In either event, I figure my responses will end in a discussion with the moderators.

Self identified as Solo Diver

Profile excerpt:

Certification Agencies:
PADI

# of Logged Dives:
0 - 24

Dive Classification:
New To Diving

Years Certified:
Six - Ten Years

Since SCUBA training today has barely enough time to make a dive reasonably safe in the water, it is probably too much to ask for a little dive history to be taught as well. A little synopsis for vapourinthesea, the emphasis on gear in recreational diving was brought about by the expantion of dive training to a population with little to no water skills.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bob DBF, I am no troll and though pretty new to scuba, not clueless. As far as so few dives for how long I've been certified...I was certified for my 16th birthday in New Jersey; But between jobs and school and then moving I haven't been actively involved in it until recently. Also, I do understand about equipment vs. skill. I am a skilled photographer who has been flown across the US to do shoots for various people. And I get upset when I see wanna be photographers that have no regard for exposure,f-stops, and the technical side of it, and just buy really expensive DSLR camera's and think they take the best pics ever because of their gear. However, when your talking about camera's or many other things...its not that big of a deal. If someone is totally satisfied with their mediocre pix, have at it, but when someone's life is on the line than safety, and things that promote safety, are a lot harder to just disregard. I know people can scuba dive with very little gear in a minimalist mindset, but that doesn't make it the safest option. For instance, if your down at 100ft. and your first stage goes on you and your air is gone (which can happen to anyone) then wouldn't you want to know you've got that pony bottle to switch to? I know I have a long road ahead of me for scuba diving...much much to learn, and I try to read as much as I can here and dive as much as I can when not on here....but some things (like a bailout bottle--especially for a solo diver) are just common sense to anyone.

All that being said, I can just quietly agree to disagree and keep trying to learn more. I apologize if anyone felt I was stepping on toes.

I think you need to log many more dives before you solo dive, all the equipment in the world won't save you without experience and knowledge of how to use it, I logged 24 dives in 3 weeks and after 100 dives I still considered myself very ignorant about diving, now yrs later and hundreds of dives later, I still learn something from every dive.

You need a lot more experience to be able to solo dive safely......................

I would have to respectfully disagree. There are many people on this forum that have started off from the beginning solo diving and have been doing so for many many years. For some people you need 100 dives...others say 500 dives, and others say 1000 dives. So who is right? I believe that all people learn at different rates; some people can start off solo diving, while others may never be able to safely dive solo. As many others have said...first and foremost, its a mindset...its being mature,responsible,smart,wise, and prudent. Aside from mindset its important to have the right gear and KNOW that gear inside and out. Also preparation is key, being prepared for all the what if's--both mentally, physically, equipment, ect. I often practice both in and out of water for any problem that might arise. Also, the deepest that I've even gone is 33ft.....I keep it very shallow and I go to a place that I know well which is a quarry so no current, surge, ect. I also have someone go with me that stays top side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom