Solo diving and back-zip dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hook a carabiner to the zipper lanyard, take a short rope with a loop in the end, connect it to the carabiner, loop the rope thru anything higher than your shoulder ( car roof rack, tree branch, etc.) hold the end of the rope with opposite hand, pull tight and then turn till the zipper closes, disconnect biner and rope. You want to run the rope thru somthing higher so that it can pull the drysuit up and away from clothing so it doesn't get caught up in your under garments.

I used a short (8") leash and looped it around a chain link fence, post or anything else about the right height, then rotated into it. I have also closed my truck door on the leash and did the same thing. After a couple of years I got in the habit of just reaching around, grabbing the leash and pulling it myself.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did figure out how to zip it up myself. Two nights ago I tried the truck tailgate handle on my Ford explorer, but the handle was too low. Instead I just used my hands. If the zipper was outside my shoulders, I'd grab the sleeve of the suit with the same-side hand as best I could with the other arm behind the head pulling. As long as I was in a muscle flexing pose, there was enough tension to get the zipper moving. Once between the shoulders I just grab the zipper with one hand and the track with the other.

I should have figured this out sooner, but I was worried by the manufacturer's warning not to zip it up yourself. If the zipper breaks, a front-zip from DUI will be the "repair."

I just bought a Diving Concepts, front-entry suit. I thought I was high on the hog.....front zip and all:D

As it turns out, I actually need more help getting into this than my rear-zip suit:shakehead:

I was testing out a new dry suit a few years back diving solo; no no pee valve. I am hear to tell you that when you are properly motivated by the morning coffee, you can unzip and rezip a back zip dry suit.

get a boat & a mate who likes diving, one mans the boat the other dives.

Funny you guys should say that, might be some truth to it - I've been thinking lately I'm like a grizzly mom: my husband knows better than to ever get between me and my diving :).
Would also explain the unwanted hair.

This tool has served me well. It isn't design for dry suits I got it on a pet store, not sure exactly for what type of pet.
I wonder why there isn't tools for this task readily available everywhere they sell dry suits.

Even if I wasn't a solo diver I wouldn't depend on a buddy to get in and out of my suit.

Attachments

• Zipper-hook.jpg
    Zipper-hook.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 231
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom