solo diving articles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bletso

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good Read.
I got my OW Certification with SDI and I like them. Shoot... I was Solo for part of my 4th training dive :rofl3:

I would take issue (if I were an Ass, but let me just say) with the
" File a flight plan... I'm Diving Solo " part. If I die I die. I don't care to scare the crap out of everybody..... everytime.. Before I go out and dive. I just go. If I never come back that will just have to suck.

It " is " a nice thing to do " sometimes " and in a way can help a person think about what they are planning to do and think about somebody other then themselves too. I'm just not sure it is a responsibility

I believe that there will be some folks that might be worried about me and If I tell them then I'll be worried about them being worried about me and then nobody is thinking about the job at hand.

I believe a safe diver should always feel just a little bit guilty.

It keeps you on you're Fins :wink:

Underwater..... alone ....... and not having anybody that has even the slightest idea where I'm at is part of the rush actually.

You didn't write the articals for me but I wish I could have read them awhile back.
I would not have felt so Radical when I went to solo when it was still a mortal sin.

I think you have a nice outline for somebody looking into doing solo diving and I think that is your point.

I like the articles. I gotta take one of these courses. I don't far from Louisville, where do you teach?

I agree with Timeliner. When I solo, I don't tell anyone. That's just part of the solo. Solo is solo.

I used to climb solo a lot - both with and without rope. Never told anyone where I was going.

Once got stuck on a big wall in snow storm, no one knew I was gone. Took me four days to reach the top of the cliff. My girlfriend went to Yosemite looking for me, thought that's where I'd be. She searched the cliffs with binoculars until she found me 2,000 feet up a cliff. It was another 2 days before I met up with her in the campground.

I guess diving is a bit different. Not hard to figure out where I am if my van is parked next to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom