Solo Diving Dissertation Questionnaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done.

Like Bob, I dive on weekends, from one to four weekends a month, completely depending on weather and / or other obligations and commitments.

Best wishes.

… I am writing my dissertation on the motivatons behind Solo Diving and the impact that new developments in Solo Diver training have had on diver participation…

I believe you will actually get more insight into the motivations by reading through the Solo Forum here on Scubaboard. I doubt if you can draw sound conclusions from this survey alone.

Hey there,
Thank you for completing the questionnaire!
I apologise for any inacurasy in the questions, however as the questionnaire is now published and has been completed by respondents I won't be able to change the way they are worded, I will however be able to write up any changes I would have made when I write up my study!

I am indeed certified myself, I am an SSI Stress and Rescue diver :)

I also certified myself. :)

After all, who better to certify me as a solo diver than myself? I've been diving solo for about half a century. My first couple of hundred dives were all solo, and it was not until I got my c card, years after I began scuba diving, that I experienced diving with other people. I still prefer diving alone, and most of my local dives are solo. Diving with strangers is, I think, more dangerous than solo diving, but I'm forced into this kind of risky behavior when on holiday in the tropics.

Properly trained divers should be perfectly capable of independent diving. Of course, very few divers who have received basic and AOW certification during the past couple of decades are properly trained. In any case, all dives should be regarded as solo dives, because in reality they generally are. I completed the survey, but it does make a number of assumptions that affect its validity.

Done.
I am writing my dissertation on the motivatons behind Solo Diving and the impact that new developments in Solo Diver training have had on diver participation.

A limiting factor on impact is that formally sanctioned solo diving entails racking up at least 100 non-solo dives prior to taking a Solo course. Thus the system lends itself to offering solo at this point as an off-shoot from standard buddy diving, for occasional situations, rather than a 'from the git-go' alternative to it. Though it may become such for some people.

Richard.

Done ! Curious to see the results.

Done. Curious why "certification" is included but "experience" is not. Either way, good luck!

Done. I have been diving since 1998, and my 19th dive was solo. I was free.

Done. I put locally for location, but that seems to be a sticky one for some. I dive weekly May/June locally in Nova Scotia. Then 6 weeks of weekly in the NYC general area. Then weekly from mid Aug.-end Oct. back in N.S.-- Then once in each Nov.& Dec. in NS. Then weekly Jan., Feb. & March in the northern Gulf of Mexico. I have done one Carib. week long dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom