Solo Diving Forum is now open!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless it is being a rebel without a clue.

True, maybe, do you feel lost?

Actually, to be serious, I am glad that the forum is open, welcome to all who seek independence from group think and self reliance.

Now, if we can only get dive ops to recognize the certifications. I wonder if there will be a third ABC agency step up and enter the fray? Will padI grow a set and go ahead and call their program solo?

N

Now, if we can only get dive ops to recognize the certifications. I wonder if there will be a third ABC agency step up and enter the fray? Will padI grow a set and go ahead and call their program solo?

N

You are definitely an optimist! Dive ops recognizing a diver's certification at face value is just crazy talk.
I'd settle for not having to justify my ways to other divers.

besides regardless of any sets that padi may or may not grow, as long as there are insurance claims from diver's lawsuits or the diver's family, dive ops will recognize less not more.

You are definitely an optimist! Dive ops recognizing a diver's certification at face value is just crazy talk.
I'd settle for not having to justify my ways to other divers.

besides regardless of any sets that padi may or may not grow, as long as there are insurance claims from diver's lawsuits or the diver's family, dive ops will recognize less not more.

Not to get serious in what is a light thread, but sorry, I do not buy into the lawsuit thing, that is a convenient excuse for excluding all sorts of things and if it is the real reason (which it is not) then when as a society will we stop allowing lawyers to restrict our freedom of choice? And take responsibility for ourselves?

How many lawsuits have been brought by the families of deceased solo certified divers who became deceased while solo diving?

N

There have been lots of lawsuits brought by family members of deceased divers. The final decision in such often hinges on technicalities and is made by folks not familiar with diving. A card may or may not mean you know anything. But a card can allow a dive op to say you were certified by some one else. No reason to expect juries and lawyers to be any more understanding of solo divers than buddy divers or students. I would expect them to be less understanding.

Agree about too many lawsuits but that is talking into the wind. It is what it is.

I have had several captains tell stories about divers lying about their experience and dive skills even to forging a log book. Reason that a lot have two sets of rules. One for new customers and another for divers they know.

I can think of one.
How many lawsuits have been brought by the families of deceased solo certified divers who became deceased while solo diving?

N

Since we are talking solo diving and in this case, solo from a dive op charter, solo or buddy, the boat and crew still retain some liability for the diver. Just because one is solo does not mean the operator can wash his/her hands of you anymore than they could if you were a buddy team. If a person was injured or died while solo diving or buddy team diving and it could be shown that there was negligence on the operator then of course and that could be the case but I will say it again, this lawsuit thing exists solo or buddy team, either way and it is just an excuse. I could see a liability that they knowingly teamed you with a diver who was a inadequate and therefore caused your death. We can make up all sorts of scenarios.

I had a buddy this past summer in Key West I was forced to dive with who took off into the inside of the Vandenburg, and we were at turn point air. I went and got him, I was really getting worried for a second and he kicked up a lot of silt and I was not a happy camper at all. Had I been solo, I would have never been in that situation of being responsible for the crews recommended "expert" diver or being inside an unfamiliar wreck, chasing a yahoo outside of visible light and in a silted hallway. Frankly, I should have let him go, but, I could not, so I went and grabbed him. I nearly threw up I was so scared.

This is like in the 80s with back inflate BCs were banned on some boats in SoFla and if you did not have a snorkel you could not dive. It is just the same kind of thinking and it is thinking based on what could be, not what is.

N

Why would the boat crew be more liable to a solo diver than a buddy pair? They are liable for their actions or negligence. That does not depend on the diver. An in fact, maybe someone could even argue that when the crew pairs them with an unknown and unreliable buddy they have in fact endangered them.
This fear of lawsuits pisses me off.

Why could you nit let your buddy go? I think you could for exactly the same reasons you mentioned, turning point for air, not planned, unknown wreck, not prepared for it... Being a buddy does not mean you have to endanger yourself because of some stupid diver.

Wow, only 18 posting and we are just repeating what others think of diving solo. There is no proof, what so ever, that a properly trained / equipt diver solo diver is in any more danger than a rec. diver diving with a buddy. I have been out of the water since my last cave trip (11-25-2014) due to not having a buddy and the quarry does not allow solo diving much because of the same crap reasons already posted here.

I think that we should not bash any dive agencies if they do not embrace solo diving. If it starts to become mainstream then they will see the money and hopefully get aboard.

I dive solo sometimes and as stated in other threads I do not prefer to due to the lost good times sharing the dive with others. I really miss the good times post dive having a few cold ones and talking about the dive. (Besides, how am I ever going to get in the video)? My wife does not prefer me to dive solo but understands my desire to dive. She will never hold anyone else responsible for my decisions. (And that is a good point to all...please let your love ones know what you are doing, field their questions and simply bring it to the surface). Those that do not dive like us really have no understanding why and how we are prepared to undertake the diving that we do. Same with caves. OTOH, I guess that you could just tell them that you dove with Al. today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom