Solo Diving Forum is now open!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of things to think about.

First, I allow solo diving. But not all solo courses are the same.

The SDI Solo Diver course is designed to allow a recreational diver to dive without a buddy at recreational depths. Ref: the SDI webpage

The PADI Self Sufficient Diver course is designed to allow the recreational diver to dive without a buddy at recreational depths. Ref. Personal Phonecon with Kelly Rockwood, PADI training and QA.

The IANTD Self Sufficient diver course IS NOT designed to allow a recreational diver to plan and execute a dive without a buddy. Ref. Personal Conversation with Eric Keibler, IANTD BOD.

I have no knowledge of a PDIC solo diver course

None of those courses are designed to allow a technical diver to dive without the support of a team diving withthem in water.

So, the question I put in writing to my insurance company was: "If a diver gets certified on a rebreather without having any Open Circuit experience, and they then obtain a solo card, may they dive solo rebreather?" The answer was yes, as long as the experience was limited to recreational plans and profiles.

So there is that.

I am going to make a call later today regarding the PDIC course. I have not talked to Tom in a while. Should be interesting. Now that PDIC and SEI are together but separate, whatever that means, and under the same ownership. I know SEI's stance. It's why I am also an sdi/tdi instructor. I would not be surprised if that course has been temporarily shelved pending review. But I don't know. Under the old PDIC standards it was intended to be a solo course. Trace Malinowski could verify that. I'll shoot him a message as well.

Maybe now that this forum is open, it should no longer sit under technical diving.

Maybe now that this forum is open, it should no longer sit under technical diving.

Position between Basic and Advanced perhaps? :wink:

Seriously, that is worth considering but it could be a big deal in terms how files are stored on Scubaboard. I only say that because I understand that the title of an existing posts can't be changed.

This thread has me wondering now....how many solo divers go into deco....

I do, sometimes ... but never without having planned and prepared for it. If you are going into deco by "accident", then perhaps that should be a clue that solo diving isn't for you ... awareness and self-discipline are two of the most important skills a solo diver can have ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why would the boat crew be more liable to a solo diver than a buddy pair? They are liable for their actions or negligence. That does not depend on the diver. An in fact, maybe someone could even argue that when the crew pairs them with an unknown and unreliable buddy they have in fact endangered them.
This fear of lawsuits pisses me off.

Why could you nit let your buddy go? I think you could for exactly the same reasons you mentioned, turning point for air, not planned, unknown wreck, not prepared for it... Being a buddy does not mean you have to endanger yourself because of some stupid diver.

1. I think we are agreeing, as I did not say they were.

2. Because I was capable of doing so. I felt my odds were good. Still, I repeat, it scared me so much I nearly threw up and I am not exaggerating, in fact, I kinda sorta did throw up. But it is not like I began diving yesterday, I knew I could do it even if it meant not taking a breath all the way down the silted hall way, one breath when I grabbed him and insisted he come along, and not another until I saw my way up. If I am buddy diving, I am buddy diving till hell parts us.

I do not wish to speak of it anymore, it still upsets me.

N

I try to keep my deco obligations under 4 hours if solo, as team bailout really becomes a necessity at that point.

Why should deco matter if properly trained in technical diving? Same question, from the other forum, pertaining to only diving solo in shallow depths. Kinda like being a little pregnate. You are either diving solo and planned for the dive or you are only diving solo by happenstance (lost buddy situation comes to mind).

Wow, only 18 posting and we are just repeating what others think of diving solo. There is no proof, what so ever, that a properly trained / equipt diver solo diver is in any more danger than a rec. diver diving with a buddy. I have been out of the water since my last cave trip (11-25-2014) due to not having a buddy and the quarry does not allow solo diving much because of the same crap reasons already posted here.

I think that we should not bash any dive agencies if they do not embrace solo diving. If it starts to become mainstream then they will see the money and hopefully get aboard.

I dive solo sometimes and as stated in other threads I do not prefer to due to the lost good times sharing the dive with others. I really miss the good times post dive having a few cold ones and talking about the dive. (Besides, how am I ever going to get in the video)? My wife does not prefer me to dive solo but understands my desire to dive. She will never hold anyone else responsible for my decisions. (And that is a good point to all...please let your love ones know what you are doing, field their questions and simply bring it to the surface). Those that do not dive like us really have no understanding why and how we are prepared to undertake the diving that we do. Same with caves. OTOH, I guess that you could just tell them that you dove with Al. today.

Tony, you need to get in the water! My dive gear is just sitting there collecting dust. If you're ever in the SW part of FL let me know. Would be a good time to get out in the ocean and do some diving...since I can't dive caves. Hope you're well.

Back
Top Bottom