Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flashgun66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I live in the Pacific Northwest, would like to start solo diving, and am in the early stages of gear set-up. I currently dive with an aluminum 80 and 30ft3 pony bottle on my back when diving with a buddy. This set-up I’ve used for years and feel fairly independent. I’m thinking of adding a 40 ft3 pony as a sidemount tank so 3 air sources when solo diving (and can still make use of my 30 ft3 pony). Still need to take SDI Solo course.

I’m looking at the Halcyon Exploration Bellows Pocket to hold a reel and signal tube and other stuff. I was thinking of getting it mounted to my left side, but will it be difficult to access with a 40ft3 pony side mounted on the left? I have not side mounted a tank before. I already have a smaller neoprene pocket on my right side attached to drysuit for storing a second mask.

Thanks

photoJim

i wouldn't bother with 3 tanks. get a bigger backgas tank and sling the 30 or go to backmount/sidemount doubles.

the 30 is a bit shorter and less likely to interfere with a thigh pocket, but you can always bungee your smb to your plate instead of the pocket. or sling the 30 on the right side.

+1 on not going to 3 tanks, too much stuff to mess with.

Is your current 30 part of the gas you consume? Or as contingency? Boat or shore? If it is currently just contingency, it seems you are set already tank wise. Are you renting the AL80 main tanks?

I think most just clip the signal tube and a spool, not reel, to a butt or right rear D ring. This is assuming a BP/W setup. I got a mask pocket, but dive shallow, 30-50', NDL so removed it.

Sidemount is sweet in the water. Though a lot of learning to dial in and more work out of the water. Switching between tanks is part of every dive so well drilled.
Tiny doubles, AL40/LP50/AL72, is maybe simplest and very compact, but aggravate boat expectations, as does sidemount....

I dive the same setup as you- an AL80 with a tank mounted 19cf bottle on one side. I'm always compensating by adding about 2 lbs of weight to the side opposite the pony -which isn't always exactly right so I roll a bit- and have sometimes considered simply adding a second identical sized pony on the other side so I'm symmetrical in regards to weight and drag and I can enjoy longer dives. Also by doing it this way there's no dealing with carrying a heavy doubles rig or dealing with slinging a large pony tank which I'd prefer not to do, I like it on my back, out of the way.

Never did it though. But the reasons given on this thread, either no reason, or "too much stuff to mess with" make me think of the divers you see in pictures carrying up to six or more tanks. Is that too much to mess with also?

Complexity kills. ::shrugs:: If it is not needed, you're better off without it. Hence the question on is the 30 part of current gas used or not. The OP feels 'fairly independent' with their 30, which suggests some is kept as contingency.

I'm not sure how an 80 plus dual tank mounted 19s would be much less bulky than a small doubles rig, beyond the 80 being easy to rent. Hence the question on if the OP is renting the 80s.

OP, independent air sources for solo means you alway have two separate tanks that can get you home. Its fine if you use each part way during the dive. Just so long as there is still gas in each to get home.

ETA: For solo, your pony on a necklace, whether that is back or slung, and your other as a stage, with reg tucked out of the way, would make sense to me. Then your emergency air is always right under your chin, not tucked in an elastic band on the tank somewhere on your left or at your side. Are you doing two dives with your 80+30 setup. With two 80s and two 30s, or just only using some of the 30 per dive.

I'm not sure how an 80 plus dual tank mounted 19s would be much less bulky than a small doubles rig, beyond the 80 being easy to rent.

Well as long as we're going down the hypothetical not often traveled road of 2 tank mounted ponies, the advantages would be that the ponies could be assembled to the main tank on the boat or at the shore entry- meaning the diver isn't carrying the bulky, heavy fully assembled rig other than whatever distance it takes to get in the water. Also ponies could be carried in luggage and easily transported to remote dive destinations where they can be strapped onto a rented AL80.

If there is suddenly a new worldwide scuba diving craze of dual mounted pony bottles, let's not forget that it started with this thread.

Just double up some 80s. You can get travel bands that will even allow you to double them up independently.

I dive almost exclusively solo, unless I’m doing a tech dive that requires support, or it’s with family.

My advice- get a set of doubles of your choice, and start using a backplate and a doul bladder wing. Doubles with an isolation manifold is considered redundancy in tec diving, as it allows you to have total access to your gas, even if one regulator fails, if the post fails you can isolate the post. And the duel bladder wing is an alternate means of bouyancy.

Once you start slinging tanks, you throw your bouancy off, unless you sling on both sides.

If funds are limited, I would consider you pony bottle enough gas to reach the surface should **** hit the fan with your current setup.

I would recommend carrying a spare mask, and 3 knives/ cutting tools, and a lift a 50lb lift bag.

Although we should treat all dives as solo dives, when you go in on your own, you have to be mentally prepared to deal with any issue that arises.

For the OP: @photoJim :

Stop and think. First rather than adding tanks, go back to basic principles. Work out the gas volume you need for a your diving, and size your back gas cylinder(s) appropriately, Then size your redundant cylinder appropriately. You really don't' need to over complicate things by clipping on additional equipment willy nilly.

Once you start slinging tanks, you throw your bouancy off, unless you sling on both sides.

I dive the same setup as you- an AL80 with a tank mounted 19cf bottle on one side. I'm always compensating by adding about 2 lbs of weight to the side opposite the pony

Diving is like riding a bicycle, where you constantly make subconscious movements to "balance" yourself slinging a small pony such as a 19, even a 40 shouldn't necessitate the need for additional offset weight to balance. Divers already do this, because a single back mount tank will, to different extents (depending upon size and material) act as a keel and be trying to turn you which you naturally correct against

Perhaps a slung 80 (which I occasionally do if nothing else available. Even so the only rotational movement it will give me is when I am absolutely motionless in the water.

If you feel a "overbalance" with a small single slung tank, then it's just exaggerating and existing "problem" which is worth investigating & correcting rather than just adding extra weight balance when it isn't really needed.

I would recommend carrying a spare mask, and 3 knives/ cutting tools, and a lift a 50lb lift bag.
??? 3 knives..please explain that level of redundancy vice 1 knife in a location that is accessible by either hand.

Back
Top Bottom