• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Solo Diving in almost 0vis water

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Frank Dieber, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I found the place when I started dive school and every once in a while they ask me to play safty diver if they don’t have a DM. in training to do it so I happily go and then do some of my own stuff at the end. They got some cool newer things I swam into a hellcat fighter plane from ww2 that’s at like 60 they got some other stuff at 80 now I was there two weeks ago and the Algae bloom wasn’t bad yet 0 to 35ft had about 25/30 ft of viz then 40+ depth had around 40+ feet viz. but totally hear you on the boat dives in open water I would much rather do that then fresh water dives. I just through the drive shaft out of the side of the Transom assembly in my boat and iv been so busy at work I haven’t had a chance to fix Hopefully the hole summer doesn’t creep away from me before I get it back together.
    I’m going to send you a Pm.

2. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

That is a really good idea I’m going to implement this some how into my next salvage dive and see how it works. Thank you so much for that!

mac64 likes this.
  3. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

Iv been to Cali a few times and loved every second of it if I ever find my self in there area I will deff hit you up and dive (Dark, Light, Deep, Super deep, shallow) pretty much if I can get wet I’m in!

4. mac64

mac64 Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    It works a treat as the standby can send in tools or lifting bag and if the diver in the water is unable to complete the job the standby can take over, not to mention the safety of having a fresh diver on the surface.

Frank Dieber likes this.
  5. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

I like what your saying and If I had a competent diver to back me up I would have him or her there the problem is I don’t. Everyone around my lake says it’s Undivable. The few that can dive it really don’t anymore. The safest thing I have is my workers that tend me at the surface and they know if I shoot my dsmb I’m in trouble come down but at the best or most they can do is bring me more gas so I can switch out bottles and try to get my self un****ed.

mac64 likes this.
  6. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    What about a line and a line tender like they do it for ice diving and commercial diving? If the vis is virtually zero, how are they going to find you?

7. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

If I shoot my dsmb it will be hooked to my spool and that to me. Running a line was something someone else brought up earlier and I do like the idea but then thinking about it more today it’s going to get snagged on everything down there thats why I don’t Use a buddy line.

8. Storker

Storker Divemaster

Hopefully not while you're shooting it. That's recommended against by virtually everyone who teaches it.

9. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

Mate all of this makes more sense than any alternative

Tied to an idiot, oh how would my buddy feel

please Frank break up your clump into more easily digested paragraphs, for people like me anyways

Best I've read, this is too true, on here anyways

That thinking is such a tragedy it's almost funny

Keep your posts coming man!

John C. Ratliff and Frank Dieber like this.
  10. Frank Dieber

Frank Dieber Angel Fish

Haha nooo I would not have it hooked to me while shooting
    I didn’t think I had to give a run down on dsmb shooting procedures. No I wound not have it hooked to me while I was shooting it. Depending on the reason I had to shoot it would dictate where I clipped it off wether to me or next to me if I needed someone to follow it down to help me. Iv never had an issue underwater where I couldn’t help my self and needed someone to bail me out.