Solo diving in overhead environments

Do you solo dive in an overhead environment?

• No way, Jose!

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I will run up some deco obligation

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • I will do some penetration (Wreck, Cave etc)

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I will run up some deco obligation and do some penetration on the same dive

Votes: 45 39.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to 138' at the beginning of a 60 minute multi level dive using an AL100, but my Suunto did not require an extended SS. I have done extended range scooter dives from shore to 120-ish depths, with 100 - 130 cf and ended up with SS times on the Suunto up to 7 or 8 minutes. There is a popular shallow shore/boat site on Maui that has a very narrow lava tube over 100 yards in length that I have done a couple times.

In all those cases I would not have done the dive to that extreme if I had a buddy.

Well those sound like really good safety (SS) stops.:rofl3::)

Most of my dives are cave dives. Most of my dives are solo. Most of my dives involve planned deco. Yep, the three intersect on a regular basis. I dive sidemount, and dive conservatively. If I'm planning a nasty tight penetration in a new area, a buddy is going to be a detriment in most cases. One of us isn't going to see a damn thing anyway. Other times, I enjoy diving with a good buddy. I also enjoy diving with "newbies" and enjoy their enthusiasm. Nothing can compare to the "zen" of being off the beaten path, in a cave, all alone, enjoying the sound of my own bubbles....very peaceful.

You just described my diving exactly.

Interesting to catch up with this thread after a long time away from it. Looks like the vast majority of solo divers are happy to push deco and/or overhead.

Thanks for all your responses, fascinating reading.

Back
Top Bottom