Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it isn't! To be a good solo diver you must have developed the very same set of skills that you need to be a good buddy!

It does not therefore follow, however, that to be a good buddy you must have developed the very same set of skills that you need to be a good solo diver. Not only is there a matter of degree, there is also a matter of context and application.

Awareness, dive planning, buoyancy control, and the ability to recognize and avoid potential problems are all key skills that any diver must develop ...

I agree. Where I disagree is the notion that the level of development necessary to have an enjoyable and safe dive after completing an OW course approaches the level necessary to be a solo diver. It does not. Skills develop over time.

Further, in the PADI structure (as well as many other agencies), skills are spread out over many courses. For example, I personally hold that good divers NEED to be proficient in rescue skills. But very few agencies teach rescue as part of their OW course. In my mind they are right not to do so as such skills require the diver to have a level of proficiency that requires a fair amount of dive time to develop.

whether for solo or buddy diving. These are all skills that some instructors are very good at teaching ... but that the agencies do little more than pay lip service to.

Instructors make that choice, in response to market demands, not the agencies. I do believe that the objectives of the dive certification industry does a dis-service to the dive industry by essentially caving to those market demands -- but outside of government mandated controls, I fail to see how to alter that course in a free market. That means that each course level is going to be forced into having a level of skill development that is less than complete and total mastery.

As you say, PADI's stance is that solo diving is "outside their mission". I disagree ...

Disagreeing with a fact does not an argument make. PADI specifically makes that statement in numerous places. I will assume you mean that you feel PADI's stance is inadequate, which is not the same thing.

if they spent more effort teaching their students the HOW, as opposed to the WHAT of these skills, they would be preparing them for the higher levels of diving that they purport ain't their job.

And they do those things, not in the OW course however. And frankly, no agency can do that and maintain any semblance of the certification market.

Economic realities suck, but economics drive behaviors and no amount of wishing will make it not so.

Solo diving isn't rocket surgery ... it's just a higher-level application of the same skills you use for diving with a buddy.

I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly, solo diving includes the same skills a proficient buddy diver has developed over time, along with some skills that are unique to technical diving. A recreational diver, for example, never need learn how to carry or use a stage bottle, or how to isolate a manifold on doubles, etc., skills that are necessary in many solo diving situations.

Economic realities suck, but economics drive behaviors and no amount of wishing will make it not so.

While I do not necessarily disagree, I believe that this is a dangerous reality. Over time, it would appear that most certification courses have been modified and simplified to push divers out quicker and with less fall-out. I have only been certified for about 7 years so I cannot say this for sure, but following many of the "wise ones" here on SB and at LDS' and dive sites, it seems that the certification process has been dumbed down somewhat. This is a dangerous side effect of allowing the market to dictate what it will accept. The course should cost what it costs and it should contain all the subject matter and skills etc. to turn out SAFE divers that are prepared and qualified to go out and begin actually diving. If a person does not want to pay that and take the full corse, then take up badminton or something. Far too often it becomes evident that a diver was certified but lacked various skills to go out and actually PLAN a dive and EXECUTE that dive safely. It is my opinion that we have allowed the market to mandate what it was willing to accept and have done so at the detriment of diver safety. But then, my opinion and a nickel will still only get you a nickel.

While I do not necessarily disagree, I believe that this is a dangerous reality. Over time, it would appear that most certification courses have been modified and simplified to push divers out quicker and with less fall-out. I have only been certified for about 7 years so I cannot say this for sure, but following many of the "wise ones" here on SB and at LDS' and dive sites, it seems that the certification process has been dumbed down somewhat.

It is dangerous, and "somewhat" is in my mind an understatement.

This is a dangerous side effect of allowing the market to dictate what it will accept.

Which is why I contend the only way to curb the effect is government regulation. A step I am loathe to support for a variety of reasons.

The course should cost what it costs and it should contain all the subject matter and skills etc. to turn out SAFE divers that are prepared and qualified to go out and begin actually diving. If a person does not want to pay that and take the full corse, then take up badminton or something. Far too often it becomes evident that a diver was certified but lacked various skills to go out and actually PLAN a dive and EXECUTE that dive safely. It is my opinion that we have allowed the market to mandate what it was willing to accept and have done so at the detriment of diver safety. But then, my opinion and a nickel will still only get you a nickel.

"Moral "shoulds" have little impact on a market driven economic system.

Which is why I contend the only way to curb the effect is government regulation.

This would never get my support. Not that that matters in the big picture, but Government Intervention WILL NOT fix the problem. It will only introduce a whole world of hurt in other aspects of the sport.

I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly, solo diving includes the same skills a proficient buddy diver has developed over time, along with some skills that are unique to technical diving. A recreational diver, for example, never need learn how to carry or use a stage bottle, or how to isolate a manifold on doubles, etc., skills that are necessary in many solo diving situations.

:no:

Let's try comparing apples to apples, not apples to avocados.

A recreational diver who want's to do a recreational dive solo does not need technical dive skills. A technical diver who decides to do a technical dive solo already has the technical dive skills you mention (as well as the gear you mention).

I probably have over a thousand solo dives and I have only taken my pony once. On that dive I planned to use the pony to complete the dive, and I followed my plan. I have taken significant risks while solo, but if the poo hit the fan the same skills I learned in OW are the skills I would use to deal with the poo.

Just because you feel you need technical training to be a solo diver does not mean anyone else has to feel that way (although some do).

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the reference for the article by Drew Richardson posted at the start of this thread? Seems as if many of you were already familiar with it. I would guess Sport Diver but could not find it. Thanks much, sorry for the temporary derail.

Good diving, Craig

But like all statistics, they need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just remember what a CPA told me about statistics: Statistics are like bikinis: what they reveal may be interesting, but what they conceal is even more so.

As far as I researched statistics about solo diving incidents and fatalities, focus is mainly: % fatalities vs incidents is higher in solo diving than buddy diving. I also agree that considering a separated buddy as a solo diver is misinterpretation of numbers. A separated buddy is indeed failure of the buddy system, not a solo diver system failure.

I didn't found any studies focused on the qualification of the diver involved in solo diving and the planification of the dive implemented (i.e. redundancy). We might also suggest that some of these fatalities involved riskier diving, like cave diving. For sure, if something goes bad when solo, fatality is closer. But bhat about the probability something goes bad? Might it be worse solo or buddy?

Did anyone out here found a complete statistical research?

As far as I researched statistics about solo diving incidents and fatalities, focus is mainly: % fatalities vs incidents is higher in solo diving than buddy diving. I also agree that considering a separated buddy as a solo diver is misinterpretation of numbers. A separated buddy is indeed failure of the buddy system, not a solo diver system failure.

I didn't found any studies focused on the qualification of the diver involved in solo diving and the planification of the dive implemented (i.e. redundancy). We might also suggest that some of these fatalities involved riskier diving, like cave diving. For sure, if something goes bad when solo, fatality is closer. But bhat about the probability something goes bad? Might it be worse solo or buddy?

Did anyone out here found a complete statistical research?

Just some thoughts:

I think these type of statistics are going to be impossible to nail down. There are "true" solo divers who die while doing a "true" solo dive. What percentage does this represent of all solo dives completed during the same reporting period? That is the main problem. There is no accurate measure.

We (solo divers) are not sending in letters to DAN or the various associations so they can record our dive totals.... but there are more people diving solo (at least on occasion) than I think many people suspect. Get to know the instructors & DM's in your area, then ask them if they ever solo.... you'll get some throat-clearing and foot-shuffling, but I suspect more affirmative answers then you'd think.

Is solo diving more dangerous than buddy diving?

Certainly.

But is solo diving statistically more dangerous, or do solo divers actually have an equal or better safety record than "buddy" divers?

I have no idea.

Personally, when I solo dive I am hyper-vigilant with regards to my equipment and surroundings. And I "perform" better as a diver when solo because all of my attention is focused on "me" and my surroundings, rather than part of it being focused on my dive partner. My RMV actually drops when I'm solo.... which is opposite what I expected.

Best wishes.

Is solo diving more dangerous than buddy diving?

Certainly.

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion?

I don't believe that solo diving is any more dangerous than buddy diving. In fact, some buddy dives could be more dangerous than solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom