Solo diving: the safety of self-reliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aadiver

Reaction score
I personally dive solo because I require total concentration on my diving "mission", specifically wreck exploration, and on the gear I carry to accomplish that mission: 21% in my 120 cu ft steel tank, 40% Nitrox in my 30 cu ft pony, Halcyon Pioneer #27 w/aluminum bp, dry suit, XL Jetfins for non-OE's, Force Fins for penetration, two reels, lift bag and SMB, Nitek3 main computer, Suunto Solution back up, and necessary tools for legal artifact removal and recovery.
Although not personally DIR compliant, I absolutely advocate that system for ALL divers. It's almost as safe as mine ;-)

AADiver

Welcome to Scubaboard, pleased to see your getting involved after keeping so quiet ! At least you know your in for a few mad nutters!!

Solo diving had caused a lot of stirs on this board in the past, as it has in the diving industry. Heres a link to a previous thread on the matter - enjoy!

Solo Diving Thread

Is what are those rusty looking things in your hands... I went to the Titanic show and them platters looked nothing like that...

:jester:
Big T

Greetings "AA",

A "cert course" in solo diving is simple greed on the part of various agencies.

G_M

Greed is never simple. The agencies perceive a potential market and want to satisfy it. They make some bucks and the customers gain some added degree of self-reliance and confidence. Hopefully, it'll be pitched as skills needed in the event of buddy separation.
Question: why is solo a dirty four letter word only in diving and not in many other potentially dangerous sports? Solo divers can only kill themselves. Solo pilots can take out many others beside themselves.

Originally posted by WetDane
Is what are those rusty looking things in your hands... I went to the Titanic show and them platters looked nothing like that...

:jester:
Big T

Those aren't Titanic platters, they're bricks. Why did I bring them up? Because they were there!

why is "solo" a dirty four letter word, agencies fullfilling a need,
etc.

I agree the agencies see a need but my point is that it is greed
for $$$. Many of us are diving solo sans-cert and are unlikely to
run out and take the course. Personally, I think many of those that will want to be certified are those that likely should not be diving (solo) in any case, cert or not, but hey, the agency will
have some added $$$.

I believe that diving with a GOOD buddy is safer than diving
alone. I also believe that a good diver diving solo is safer
than if the buddy is a "bad" buddy (and we can all define for
ourselves "bad" buddy). Perhaps the idea behind "no solo"
is that two buy more gear than one, or unless you BOTH die,
the other will surface and we'll find your body.

No simple answers, only complex questions.

Hey AA,

Thanks - that's what they looked like to me - I just didn't want to sound like a fool -
As far as the Solo diving goes - Good luck -I hope you stay safe.
I guess I could form an opinion on this but I have been a hefty violator of rules in the mountain world and could not preach to anyone - nor would I really want to.
I hope that as a solo diver you have a pretty solid setup and a pretty good idea how to react... Maybe you could look at the certs and tell us what you think of them - so far I have found most certs to be somewhat skinny and not quite do the trick as far as teaching everything you need to know...

Anyway, we are responsible for our own actions right?

Big T

First of all, AAdiver welcome to the board. I've seen your posts over on Diver.net. Maybe you can get Mike Kane to post over here also. Seems like the two of you certanly have some animated exchanges.

I ditto Geen's response. He typically provides solid reasoning and thoughtful responses.
FWIW, I think advocating solo for the general diving population is irresponsible. However, if solo works for you that's fine.

What I don't understand is why you advocate solo for everyone.
There have been times when I have been solo because of circumstances but that is the exception not the norm. I just don't see the point of being such an activist for such high risk behavior.

Dive Safe.

Larry

I think a solo certification is great. I have gone out solo in the relative safety of the park I dive locally. Of course there is not much to worry about there, max depth is 56 feet and nothing to get hung up on or anything.

But I find it very peaceful to dive alone. Not to say I don't enjoy diving with buddies also. I have stated before I have had some really good ones and some ok ones.

I would not recommend solo diving in any place you do not know what you will encounter but think the specialty does have it's place.

AADiver what cool stuff have you found in the way of artifacts other than bricks. BTW: that brick in your left hand is the one I lost please send it back hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom