Solo diving: the safety of self-reliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry, I do NOT advocate or promote solo diving in any way, shape, or form. I simply explained why I dive solo and the gear I do it with. You're misinterpreting my post.

I asked about the solo program last monthwhen I joined the board.. It doesn't seem like anyone around here has taken it yet.

I want to take the course, for the self-reliance that it will focus on. I feel that the skills it covers (the lesson plan is available on the SDI website) will help anyone become a better diver/DM/instructor/buddy.

I inquired at a local shop about the course and I was basically told to come back when I had 100 logged dives. No Problem.

Next spring/early summer I'm going to head back over to that shop.

As I undertand it, diving solo off a dive boat is currently verbotten, as it is at all the quarries I've been to. Perhaps insurance and policies will begin to accept the SDI cert as valid for allowing those who chose to the opportunity to dive solo in those environments.

"AADiver what cool stuff have you found in the way of artifacts other than bricks."

Check this out: the faceplate of an engine room telegraph I recovered solo from a wreck in the Bahamas last month on the SEA FEVER out of Miami. I think we're both the same age: 69.

Originally posted by aadiver
I personally dive solo because I require total concentration on my diving "mission", specifically wreck exploration, and on the gear I carry to accomplish that mission: 21% in my 120 cu ft steel tank, 40% Nitrox in my 30 cu ft pony, Halcyon Pioneer #27 w/aluminum bp, dry suit, XL Jetfins for non-OE's, Force Fins for penetration, two reels, lift bag and SMB, Nitek3 main computer, Suunto Solution back up, and necessary tools for legal artifact removal and recovery.
Although not personally DIR compliant, I absolutely advocate that system for ALL divers. It's almost as safe as mine ;-)

I assume the last two sentences were meant as "tongue in cheek"??:confused:

I assume the last two sentences were meant as "tongue in cheek"??:confused:

On what do you base your "assumption"? I mean what I say and I say what I mean. Take or leave it. If you don't like my post then don't respond to it.

....what I thought of your post. Just wondering if the last two lines were tongue in cheek or not. Now do you understand or do I need to type slower, use bigger letters or smaller words?
Thanks for the advice on your posts, though. I can tell I probably don't need to read them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom