Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A properly run solo diver course should provide the student with realistic, but controlled, stressor scenarios which enable them to investigate their own psychological responses and stress management capacity.

All the other stuff on a solo diver course - the use of equipment, the more precise dive/gas planning etc can be gained through mentorship, self-study and the accumulation of raw experience. Albeit not as efficiently/quickly as it can be developed in formal training.

Too bad all the solo diver courses I've been able to find only ask for the latter, where it is the former that is really needed. If anyone knows of such a course (with the realistic but controlled stressor scenarios) in the Sacramento, Monterey area PM me or post here.

There are people who are just not cut out to be solo divers anymore than they are to be combat military, firemen, cops, emergency personnel or fighter pilots. No amount of training is going to make them one, they may know all the answers and still fail the test. My wife does not dive and for good reason, she panics. I don't think I could trust her to put out a grease fire on the grill. I do not panic. I know from experience and intellectually that panic is the quickest route to the grave. That is not to say that I have not felt the fear, it is just that I'm good at choking it back. You can run faster standing straight up than you can crouched to be a smaller target, but you are in the kill zone longer. So you figure the odds and use your discipline. That is the kind of mindset you need. That way, once you get most of the answers you will pass the test.

There was a fireman that brought up the question of getting published information about solo diving, which is a good thing. He might have run across some scenarios he did not think of. Almost immediately, people started telling him solo was a bad idea. Some told him he needed to be trained first. He had the one thing that he needed first... A demonstrated ability to work through a life threatening situation without panic or letting fear get in the way. I think he may be smart enough to cover the information, get the gear he needs and work out some scenarios to insure he has the ability to get through it. The more he dives solo the better he will get by tricking his gear, setting the limitations and planning for the eventualities.

Last edited:
I began solo diving for one reason - when I travel I have had "instabuddies" swim off - some before I have even descended. I then made the decision to be prepared to dive by myself.

I've studied written material, gotten appropriate equipment, practiced in familiar environments and I try to be prepared. I've also done a lot more dives. For me, it was not realistic to really solo until I had a few hundred dives under my belt. I had dived alone - but solo diving is something different; it can involve different gear, mindsets and predive planning. I think, however, that experience is the most important. That will give you the confidence to work through problems.

I agree that solo diving is not for everyone becouse it require many things. It is not just different approach to diving and way of thinking. Solo diving require expirience (which can be crucial in stress situation), knowladge and skills. You have to be self sufficient diver if you want to go alone. I am relative new in solo diving and I found that skills and knowladge necessary for solo are very welcome in buddy system diving. Of course, solving problems under the water, planning, selection and donning of equipment is sometimes little bit different but knowladge and skills are always applicable.

Very important think that I found at the beginning of solo diving is that my expirience is not such a big for solo which I tought at beginning of solo (150+, 2 stressfull situations). How calm you are going to stay when you hit the problem is very often related to your expirience and your character. How are you going to solve problem is usually related to your skills and knowladge.

For people who are planning to go solo the best way is to take solo course before they start it. It is good thing even someone will not to much dive solo in future.
On the other hand, for those who are not sure should they go solo or not, having a reliable buddy under the the surface is the safest way of diving. Always.

This book has been sold.

If anyone needs it, I have a copy of Solo Divivg Manual that I will sell shipped CONUS for $10.00, paypal OK.

The book that I have is a new edition (2002, second edition) of :
Solo Diving
"The Art of Underwater Self-Sufficiency", not the SDI manual.

Sorry for any misleading information.

Got back from a solo dive earlier today at Pennyroyal Blue Springs resort (a quarry) in southwestern KY. Roughly 103 ft max. depth, 42 ft average depth, 1 hour & 2 minute dive, using a steel 130 HP tank & an aluminum 30 cf pony. Min. temp. around 44 degrees down deep.

I've been thinking about the 'mindfulness' demands of soloing; which the SDI course makes an issue of. For that matter, the PADI Rescue Diver course encourages a similar mindset. But ironically, by solo diving today, there are a number of things I did NOT have to be mindful of:

1.) Keeping up with a buddy. Especially when viz. is only fair, the water is deep and quite cold.

2.) Occasionally checking a buddy's air supply.

3.) Observing to see whether the buddy is cold.

4.) Seeing which way the buddy wants to go, or at what point the buddy might want to end the dive.

Solo diving does burden me with more gear, the need for more methodical pre-dive self/gear checking, and the responsibility of making all the decisions. But in some ways, it's easier.

Richard.

drrich2-

The argument against those points are that when you do buddy dive you'll forget how to be a team. Sounds like an awesome dive. My solo dive yesterday was putzing around at 25' without a pony.

Chris

The argument against those points are that when you do buddy dive you'll forget how to be a team.

It could. I think it's a mixed bag. Soloing I get used to being more methodical about thinking through my gear (mainly so I don't get to the water & remember I forgot my fins or some such), so I may better at 'buddy checks.' And of course, solo offers me the chance to do more dives than I could without it, which may help build confidence and skill in the water (or rehearse & further ingrain my ignorance and bad habits, of course), which could help me be a better buddy.

At the least, I don't think I'm worse.

I'm also hopeful that experience diving with 5 mm wetsuit, 5 mm gloves, 7/5 mm hood & a 30 cf pony bottle in colder water with poorer viz. will get me comfortable in a way so that when I (hopefully) am again blessed to dive aquarium-like (e.g.: Bonaire west coast) conditions, I'll find it even more comfortable/relaxed. Not sure if that's going to happen, but I hope so.

Richard.

I thought about bringing my solo gear on BlackBeard's ( I had checked, they were ok with it ) but in the end I think I'll just get a couple dozen dives in practicing my buddy skills.

by solo diving today, there are a number of things I did NOT have to be mindful of:

1.) Keeping up with a buddy. Especially when viz. is only fair, the water is deep and quite cold.

2.) Occasionally checking a buddy's air supply.

3.) Observing to see whether the buddy is cold.

4.) Seeing which way the buddy wants to go, or at what point the buddy might want to end the dive.

That's why I like Mark Powell's presentation on solo diving. He identifies that solo diving isn't preferable to buddy diving.... but IS highly preferable to 'same ocean' (flawed) buddy diving. Many divers associate buddy diving with 'same ocean' diving... or identify the pitfalls of 'buddy diving' through weak or non-existent buddy skills...

[vimeo]49259855[/vimeo]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom