Solo Diving

Solo diving: which are you more likely to attempt?

• Solo freediving

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Solo scuba

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Neither!

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • I'm willing/have already tried both

Votes: 54 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done both, free dive and solo dive although am not very good at free diving since my breath holding ability is poor. I'm looking to improve this. I solo dive some since I do not have a buddy a lot of the time, but I restrict such dives to about 35 feet or so.

Dan T

Just an update on the dangers of Solo freediving. A diver was killed last week when solo freediving in a 15 foot dive tank in a swimming pool in Calgary, Alberta. The lifegaurds found him floating on the surface after doing multiple dives in the pool. He lived in the hospital for a couple of days before passing away.

This incident has really made me rethink my solo freediving practices. I will not hold my breath in the water without direct supervision anymore, I can't imagine how devastated my wife and son would be if I was found floating. That incident demonstrates that no longer how shallow or easy you think the diving is there is still big risk!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom