Solo for safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just curious if it's common to feel safer diving solo?

Realization hit me I've nearly never had discomfort solo and wished I had buddy while anytime I'm in a group or with a buddy and something starts to go pear shaped I wish I was solo. (Full disclosure: one night dive/low viz/ highflow entanglement I had a few flickering moment's wishing I had someone to cut some line.)

I've read too many double fatalities where it would appear at least one would have survived if both dove solo. Even more poignantly if solo redundancy was built into the plan instead of misguided buddy reliance.

We all mess up to some degree at some point, and I wouldn't want my mess up to effect the health of another... and I sure don't want to be dead trying to save a buddy.

I can think of a hypothetical medical emergency situation or black outs where I'd like a buddy to get my head above water, but it seems in the majority of dives it's more likely a second brain and body simply doubles the chance of a failure.

Stating this strongly for discussion purposes. I have had the privilege of diving with some solid buddies, students, instructors and mentors and it can be lovely. But seems inherently more risky.

Regards,
Cameron

If your buddy is well equipped and as good as you, a buddy can be an asset. For me it depends a lot on the activity and the conditions. in really bad visibility a buddy takes a ton of band width to maintain contact with. In clear water, not so much.

When there are sharks around, I really much prefer a buddy, I think it is a lot safer to have someone watching your back and defending you, plus it can be a numbers game. 4 or 6 versus one (diver) sux.. A buddy pair can work together and keep their backs together.

If your buddy is well equipped and as good as you, a buddy can be an asset. For me it depends a lot on the activity and the conditions. in really bad visibility a buddy takes a ton of band width to maintain contact with. In clear water, not so much.

When there are sharks around, I really much prefer a buddy, I think it is a lot safer to have someone watching your back and defending you, plus it can be a numbers game. 4 or 6 versus one (diver) sux.. A buddy pair can work together and keep their backs together.

Brilliant post sir!

I hadn't factored in sharks!

Cheers,
Cameron

If your buddy isn't an asset, dump him/her and go solo. A good buddy is safer than solo diving.

I have no problem diving solo. I spend 6 weeks in Puerto Rico and found it hard to find someone to dive with all the time. I went to a local divemaster and told him I wanted to dive solo and he dove with me until he was comfortable with me diving solo. He made me practice taken my bc on and off, would take my mask off when I wasn't looking, switch my regs, made sure I know my gear, could read the currents, and use my compass.
Since diving solo I have ran into fishing line, had to remove my bc and had a reg free flow. All these things we're potential problems but because I have practice They were no problem at all. Diving solo can be fun and safe. Make sure you know your equipment and your ability. If you question either get someone to practice with.

Realization hit me I've nearly never had discomfort solo and wished I had buddy while anytime I'm in a group or with a buddy and something starts to go pear shaped I wish I was solo. (Full disclosure: one night dive/low viz/ highflow entanglement I had a few flickering moment's wishing I had someone to cut some line.)

I've read too many double fatalities where it would appear at least one would have survived if both dove solo. Even more poignantly if solo redundancy was built into the plan instead of misguided buddy reliance.

We all mess up to some degree at some point, and I wouldn't want my mess up to effect the health of another... and I sure don't want to be dead trying to save a buddy.

I can think of a hypothetical medical emergency situation or black outs where I'd like a buddy to get my head above water, but it seems in the majority of dives it's more likely a second brain and body simply doubles the chance of a failure.

Stating this strongly for discussion purposes. I have had the privilege of diving with some solid buddies, students, instructors and mentors and it can be lovely. But seems inherently more risky.

Regards,
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

I usually feel safer diving solo. I usually move at a slower pace and I am usually towing a dive float/flag. I cover less territory and my moves are deliberate and slow--my head is on a swivel and scanning 360 on all axis. I don't do these things because I am trying to be safer, I do these things because I like micro diving verses macro diving.

I don't SCUBA to swim an Olympic swimming event. I dive to relax and see things. Moving slowly and covering less territory usually means I see more; notwithstanding, the closer I am to the splash zone means it is easier and quicker to return to the boat or ingress point.

Not worrying about an insta-buddy or incompatible buddy is refreshing and probably safer.

markm

I feel much, much safer diving solo. I also vastly prefer the solitude, peace, and freedom afforded by diving solo.

I sincerely dislike the distraction of having to stick to a specific depth, direction, length, etc. of a dive plan discussed on shore without knowing what the exact conditions are submerged. I hate keeping track of a "buddy" every few seconds to make sure they haven't wandered off or gotten into trouble.

I am quite capable of taking care of anything that comes up during my dives. A "buddy" most often would just get in my way while I sorted out and resolved my problem.

With 200 plus solo dives, for me it is not so much feeling safer. With a good dive buddy, you are safer. I know the arguments but having a ton of other outdoor activity experience back country hiking, skiing and offshore boating you just can't convince me you are safer by yourself. I guess the forced insta buddy scenario would be the exception.

For me it is the freedom - plain in simple. I am completely comfortable when I dive solo but this also means that I choose not to dive certain conditions that I would dive with a competent experienced buddy. When diving solo I limit my depth, time spent at depth, distance traveled. I limit when I will dive a new site and the conditions when I dive solo. When I am diving solo though I go when I went, where I went, for how long I want. Freedom with self imposed limitations.

I do because I only have one knucklehead to worry about, and the majority of my dives have been solo.

As far as safety goes, I would be safer buddy diving with one from my small list. Two divers have more options than one, if they are both good divers.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom