Solo gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yakandjak

Reaction score
What are your considerations with regard to:

-essential equipment

-accessibility

-redundancy

-streamlining

Thanks in advance.

If you don't need it don't take it. If you do take two or three of each. Myself it usually means doubles with isolator manifold, primary and two back up lights, reel and finger spools, lift bag at bottom of back plate, three cutting tools- shears in pocket, zip knife on light handle or harness, and dalton knife on waist belt. I also carry wrist slate and wet notes. Compass on left arm with bottom timer, computer on right wrist with my dive watch. Everything is clipped and bungeed. Nothing dangles and all can be accesssed with either hand.

If you don't need it don't take it. If you do take two or three of each.

Probably a sound rule of thumb.

So, following this logic, I assume you typically dive in conditions requiring the use of a light and these three lights are not "just in case." Is that correct?

And I'm stumped on the wrist slate. What do you need that for?

Thanks for the reply!

I solo dive with an Aqua Master double hose, tank, Vulcan or SeaHawk knife, fins, mask, spg, watch, depth guage, cotton harness. Exposure protection to suit the conditions. I also have a small net package with a signal mirror, sausage float and spool and chemlight etc that tucks away easily. Don't need anything more.

N

If you need it to dive solo then you need it to dive as a responsible member of a team.
If you don't need it to dive in a team you don't need it to dive solo.

Hi Nemrod. Sounds like you're an old school fish. And that's cool. But isn't a single air source by yourself assuming a large risk? Along with the single knife, single safety sausage, etc.?

When I asked this question I honestly didn't expect an answer like yours in this forum but I am certainly interested in your rationale.

Thanks for jumping in.

Probably a sound rule of thumb.

So, following this logic, I assume you typically dive in conditions requiring the use of a light and these three lights are not "just in case." Is that correct?

And I'm stumped on the wrist slate. What do you need that for?

Thanks for the reply!

Typically yes as to the lights. Most of the local spots get dark around 50 ft or so. I'm not averse to doing solo dives in the 100-120 range. On those days when the water is clear and the sun is out strong and I'm not going deep I'll just take the two backups that stay on the harness. As to the team vs solo configuration I dive the same regardless just because I know instinctively where everything is. As for the leave it or take two this is pretty much standard Hogarthian configuration. I see no need to change between dives as my solo vs buddy/ training with students is about 2 solo's to every 7 or 8 buddy/training dives with students. I also am pretty much diving doubles exclusively these days, even on checkouts.

As to the team vs solo configuration I dive the same regardless just because I know instinctively where everything is.

More sound advice, particularly for an instructor.

I think I lean more towards your rule of thumb, having different configs for solo/team and day/night diving. But just as you said, when it's there it is always in the same spot.

Thanks again.

I also dive a rig similar to Nemrod's. My only redundancy is a knife and a shears. If you don't have trust in one regulator why trust in two. From presonal experience I have come to the belief that the chance of a regulator failure is about zero, at least for mine it is..

Hi Nemrod. Sounds like you're an old school fish. And that's cool. But isn't a single air source by yourself assuming a large risk? Along with the single knife, single safety sausage, etc.?

When I asked this question I honestly didn't expect an answer like yours in this forum but I am certainly interested in your rationale.

Thanks for jumping in.

Because it is the belief of some that simple is better. Simple and robust systems are more reliable than complex redundant systems, just another approach to reliability. Most, simply put, rely on multiple failure prone systems, I in contrast rely upon one RELIABLE system. One good knife is all I need. Besides, if I were into eliminating all risk, I would stay in the bed, I prefer to manage risk. The chance of my Aqua Master completely failing is about zero as far as I am concerned therefore I don't need to tote around extras. I don't need extra masks, I don't carry a snorkel. If your mask is damaged then simply surface. You should be able to complete a dive from start to finish WITHOUT a mask before considering yourself ready for solo, as an example. If your in overhead (including deco) then certain additional complexity is required as might be the case for deep solo, night solo etc. Still, the idea is to rely on skill and experience, not your gear, to complete the dive.

N

Back
Top Bottom