Solo Gear & DIR Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I realize the DIR philosophy fundamentally opposes solo diving. How relevant is the gear configuration to solo divers? It seems to me the long hose would offer no benefit and fins would be personal choice.

Other than a redundant air source is their any consensus on the best solo gear setup?

Regarding your first question ... if you're going to solo dive, then the anwer is obvious ... the DIR philosophy and gear configuration aren't relevant to you. That's an approach that is predicated on the assumption that you will be diving with one or two other divers.

Choose a configuration and approach that fits the style of diving you're planning to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I disagree.

Solo is an outlook as well as a way to dive alone...can't believe how many people don't seem to agree with me on this.

The bungee reg, for example is an absolute for me to dive solo. You fall in knee deep water, alone? Necklace is priceless. etc, etc.

I may not be DIR to DIR divers, but I can outline the ways their philosophy and methods have changed the way I dive for the better. For example, I still use a computer, but I constantly work on trying to estimate my deco status mentally. I favor the DIR gear config and think they have much to offer.

The long hose is very valuable for air shares for me and other "solo" divers photogs, etc. We may dive alone a portion of the drift to get pictures and resume buddy style for the stops and boat pick-up.

There is nothing that says you can't fuse styles and practices...of course conformity and uniformity is a fundamental tenet of DIR, so expect to be challenged. Lots of Catholics use BC too.....

Not a black and white world, for me. You see what works and then apply the MOST important concept which is why, and for what purpose?

This allows you to stay streamlined and reduce your gear to the minimalist, "function follows structure" philosophy and avoid silly purchases.

Very few "solo divers" actually are out there diving alone in my world. Kayak divers are an exception. Most solo divers have an outlook of being ultimately responsible for their own choices and assumption of risk...and their assets are hopefully off the table. Doesn't mean you cannot dive around others and benefit from being able to assist or increase your options with a long hose.

catherine96821:
The bungee reg, for example is an absolute for me to dive solo.
But the long hose has no real use in solo diving. But I wouldn't put fins on the person preference list like the OP did. Fin kicks are fin kicks regardless if a buddy is there.

catherine96821:
I disagree.

Solo is an outlook as well as a absolute way to dive...can't beleive how many people don't seem to agree with me on this.

The bungee reg, for example is an absolute for me to dive solo.
I don't think we're disagreeing at all ... like DIR, solo diving requires a mindset and gear configuration that is specific to the objectives of the dive.

The OP asked how relevant DIR was to solo diving ... the answer is that it's not relevant at all.

The bungee'd backup reg isn't exclusive to the DIR configuration ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I went to the long hose to get a more streamlined hose routing. I got real tired of things grabbing the loop of hose sticking out mto my right.

hmm, good point Bob.

Yes the long hose is more streamlined, for sure.

DIR is what my exposure was to these things....I could have found them otherwise, but I did not.

I know people who think we are solo, get called solo, and use our long hoses pretty regularly, and not just for drills.

sigh...we have no place in this world....

I dive the same configuration every dive, whether solo or doing skills with DIR buddies. I have used my long hose to extend the dive of another diver who wasn't sure if she had enough air to make it all the way back to the beach. We swam side by side through kelp and over rocks with no problems.
I don't think the Hogarthian(DIR) configuration is necesary for solo diving, but it doesn't hurt.

MaxBottomtime:
I don't think the Hogarthian(DIR) configuration is necesary for solo diving, but it doesn't hurt.
Other than the long hose, there is nothing on a DIR/Hog rig that is on the rig for a "team" solution (Well, maybe wetnots are another one)

Its purpose is to make a neat diver which should be the pursuit of any diver DIR, solo or other.

getting stuck and having to remove your tank is much easier with a long hose.

I know divers who pass their tanks through small spaces in wrecks.....

oh...and lets not forget the guys who crawl under ledges and remove their tanks to grab lobsters and tako.

Also, solo status makes the big 60 # lift SMB look pretty darn sweet. I am changing my thinking and starting to furl it and pack in the backplate as it is not hard to deploy from the butt D-ring, and the larger SMB are cumbersome on my D-ring in front.

Yea, Solo and DIR config compliment each other IMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom