Solo Technical Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree that solo is not "tec" per se. Also keep in mind that those of us who dive as a DM or instructor are likely diving "solo" even if there are other divers in our ocean. I'm big fan of the SDI Solo course. the skills and mindset is invaluable.

I do too, but that doesn't mean they are condoned or approved by the certifying agency or the insurance company. As long as your solo tech diving is within the limits the operator places on you, nothing wrong with it at all. After all, you don't have a wife to sue someone for "letting" you do it.

... the vast majority of my diving doesn't involve an operator ... we do mostly shore diving here, and there are no such things as dive guides to "let" you do anything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 30th, 2015 at 12:08 PM ----------

Lawyers, Guns and Money! I am assuming it is all about the taboo stigma associated with solo diving and the liability that SB wants to incur. Or at least that is how I viewed it.

Pete's already been sued once over something someone posted on ScubaBoard ... I daresay he's not anxious to repeat the experience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Solo is a legitamate advanced SCUBA certification by at least two abc agencies. The genie is out, why pretend solo diving is not a legitamate recreational advanced SCUBA activity.

N

Nemrod: PADI doesn't officially sanction solo diving. They have a "Self Reliant Diver" cert/course, but it's how to survive a dive if buddy separation occurs. It's not intended as a solo diving course. I'm not saying PADI sets the standards, by any means. Nor am I saying I think it belongs in the Technical forum. I do, however, believe that solo diving shouldn't be advertised to your average recreational diver....or SB member. It should be a decision you make for a reason, not because it's "chic."

Nemrod: PADI doesn't officially sanction solo diving. They have a "Self Reliant Diver" cert/course, but it's how to survive a dive if buddy separation occurs. It's not intended as a solo diving course. I'm not saying PADI sets the standards, by any means. Nor am I saying I think it belongs in the Technical forum. I do, however, believe that solo diving shouldn't be advertised to your average recreational diver....or SB member. It should be a decision you make for a reason, not because it's "chic."

Not you specifically but first you guys argue the padi course is and now it is not? Which is it? Obviously SDI at least does think solo is simply an advanced course not unlike rescue. There are absolutely no statistics demonstrating solo as more dangerous than buddy diving therefore there in absolutely no reason not to "advertize" solo to the advanced diver.

N

Not true. If you call Kelly Rockwood, PADI training and QA, she will tell you that the self reliant diver course is meant for a recreational diver to plan and execute a buddyless dive. It is called Self Reliant because Karl Shreeves or Drew Richardson, can't remember who, wrote a missive stating unequivocally that PADI would never endorse solo diving.

You are, however, correct if you apply the self reliant diver course to IANTD. I spoke to Eric Keibler, who was or is on the IANTD Board of Directors, and he told me that the IANTD self reliant diver was to train a recreational diver to safely complete a dive in the event they found themselves without a buddy.

... PADI doesn't officially sanction solo diving. They have a "Self Reliant Diver" cert/course, but it's how to survive a dive if buddy separation occurs. It's not intended as a solo diving course. ...
Actually, the PADI Self-Reliant Diver course is a solo course in everything but name.

extracted from the instructor guide:
To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
The curriculum is very similar to the SDI solo course.

Not you specifically but first you guys argue the padi course is and now it is not? Which is it? Obviously SDI at least does think solo is simply an advanced course not unlike rescue. There are absolutely no statistics demonstrating solo as more dangerous than buddy diving therefore there in absolutely no reason not to "advertize" solo to the advanced diver.

N

Not true. If you call Kelly Rockwood, PADI training and QA, she will tell you that the self reliant diver course is meant for a recreational diver to plan and execute a buddyless dive. It is called Self Reliant because Karl Shreeves or Drew Richardson, can't remember who, wrote a missive stating unequivocally that PADI would never endorse solo diving.

You are, however, correct if you apply the self reliant diver course to IANTD. I spoke to Eric Keibler, who was or is on the IANTD Board of Directors, and he told me that the IANTD self reliant diver was to train a recreational diver to safely complete a dive in the event they found themselves without a buddy.

Actually, the PADI Self-Reliant Diver course is a solo course in everything but name.

extracted from the instructor guide:

The curriculum is very similar to the SDI solo course.

This is good to know, and I rescind my statement. My understanding was that after Karl/Drew/whoever wrote that statement that they'd NEVER endorse solo diving that any of those courses are simply how to be self reliant in case of a bad or missing buddy....hence the name.

My other point stands, though. Too many people are joining Cave diving because it's the "chic" thing to do. With the skill level of "most" divers I've seen doesn't make me want to trust them solo. Most instructors don't inspire the confidence in me that they can teach most divers to dive solo safely. Therefore, if "Solo Diving" is kept out off of the front pages of "most" divers then my feelings aren't hurt. Then again, I really don't care where Solo Diving threads end up as they don't really apply to me very much (frequent solo and certified Full Cave diver).

Solo belongs in technical.

1) It exceeds the conventional limitations (Buddy diving) of recreational diving

2) In requires equipment not associated with recreational diving, specifically redundancy

3) It also requires a different mindset from a recreational diver

Sure, any idiot can jump in the water and solo. Same as they can dive until they pass NDL's but that doesn't make them a solo or technical diver.

Solo belongs in technical.

1) It exceeds the conventional limitations (Buddy diving) of recreational diving

2) In requires equipment not associated with recreational diving, specifically redundancy

3) It also requires a different mindset from a recreational diver

Sure, any idiot can jump in the water and solo. Same as they can dive until they pass NDL's but that doesn't make them a solo or technical diver.

But that is not what SDI and PADI are saying as they have clearly classified solo as advanced recreational.

As long as we ostracize solo to the closet the longer and more difficult it will be to find solo tolerant ops.

This all is vaguely familiar to the nitrox arguments. I remember all of the same arguments made that it was to technical for the recreational diver and that nitrox was a technical topic/skill.

There is a thread about DM fitness. It is seemed to be said that if one meets the standard then they are good to go. If there are standards for solo, and there are, and they are met, why is this a problem? Why is it different from any other recreational certification? You have standards, you meet the standards, you go dive, in this case solo.

Buddy-less diving may not have been a part of recreational diving but that has changed, SDI and PADI now recognize recreational solo.

N

Back
Top Bottom