solo training vs firefighters training whats the difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For started firefighting and scuba diving have some very remote similarities. Both are using apparatus to survive and operate in an otherwise inhospitable environment, in which you are trained to thrive. You arguments that should you get lost in both you will die holds limited value because getting out of both situations the techniques are different. This would be the same as saying that since I am a pilot, I am like a scuba diver because if I get lost in the clouds and my instruments fail me then I will die. You are also painting and over dramatic image of firefighting in today's society. Fires that would be as drastic as you describe would be a surround and drown type fire. Additionally, your department is required to have a RIT team in place (this is the NFPA requirement that for every two firefighters in a building there are two outside prepared to rescue them). And a building is a finite space, where you have two way radio communication to the outside and you should have a well trained Incident Commander who will dispatch immediate rescue if you find yourself in a problem. Lastly, if all else fails and you do run out of air, you can always filter breath until RIT arrives, who should have a bag with a big bottle of fresh air in it to hook up to you. Now with SOLO diving there are a whole slew of other situations you could run into, entanglement, equipment failure, lost in a huge ocean. A Solo diving class will insure that you are comfortable and competent enough in the water to consider diving alone, and it will teach you equipment options and techniques to help yourself when things go wrong. While you might have a little heads up in panic control from firefighting, it all goes out the window when you are in a different environment and it would be best for you to practice. You have a little bit of Hazmat training from your minimum standards class, you wouldn't go romping into a hazmat scene until you've been trained.

Fire Officer II-2 Years, Hazardous Materials Technician- 4 Years, Firefighter-10 years, Paramedic-5 years, Scuba Diver 15 years, Pilot-5 Years

i was unaware they teach you how to deal with entanglements or how to conserve your limited supply of breathing gas in pilot school ....perhaps ill take flight lessons next. and should your gauges fail i hope u can find the ground if not you will find it in time im sure of that.

over dramatic in a city maybe in a rual area not so much...

ff 12 years FO. turned it down 2 times paramedic not in my life time. hasmat ops 10 years....still dont like has mat scubadiver 3 years and still have never seen salt water or any water with more then 30 feet of viz but i did watch into the blue...mmm miss elba

...//... So my question is being comfortable with all that is there're anything that a solo class can teach me that I have not learned as a fire fighter?

Yes, mindset. Unless you put the cart before the horse. In that case, no.

From reading this thread I guess I'll have have to give up solo diving 'cause I'm way undertrained.

As one that dove solo for my first 30 or 40 dives when I ran across another diver with gear, yes it was another time, but solo diving isn't rocket science. Diving is a matter of risk management and self preservation, solo diving is that without help so act accordingly.

Solo is like Nitrox, AOW, and Deep, if you get asked for the card to do a trip, you are SOL if you don't have the card. If you are diving on your own, you can do whatever you like.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

OP you seem to ask a question from a large and diverse group of people, then respond with heavy sarcasm to those who do not praise you or say what you wish for them to say. Accordingly, I'm done responding to you here, and I sincerely hope you never find yourself in a situation where you are in over your head. Training saves lives, ego takes them.

OP you seem to ask a question from a large and diverse group of people, then respond with heavy sarcasm to those who do not praise you or say what you wish for them to say. Accordingly, I'm done responding to you here, and I sincerely hope you never find yourself in a situation where you are in over your head. Training saves lives, ego takes them.

my sarcasm was and is due to the fact that your response seems far off topic of my question. the question is to weather or not the training crosses over well or not and weather or not i would learn something new that i have not already learned in my training as a ff or even as a reg old ow diver. you answered none of my questions there for u got a smart ass answere. and as i have all ready stated i have decided to take the class when my friend/ instructor comes back in town. being that the class will be free to me anyhow i figure the only thing i have to loose is the bit of time it takes to finish the class

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 06:35 PM ----------

From reading this thread I guess I'll have have to give up solo diving 'cause I'm way undertrained.

As one that dove solo for my first 30 or 40 dives when I ran across another diver with gear, yes it was another time, but solo diving isn't rocket science. Diving is a matter of risk management and self preservation, solo diving is that without help so act accordingly.

Solo is like Nitrox, AOW, and Deep, if you get asked for the card to do a trip, you are SOL if you don't have the card. If you are diving on your own, you can do whatever you like.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

yea u and i both bob
well i may be able to solo dive again in a couple months after i seek more training from my scuba guru

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 08:20 PM ----------

in reading all the post i missed this one thank you!!!

Last edited:
If you are a profesional PSD please filter what follows. The PSD divers in my OA are the last people I would dive with. In my OA it is a way for them to get scuba training for drunken jaunts in the carribean on holiday, on the tax payers nickle.

That being said, any training that deals with critical thinking in adverse conditions, while being with held air will cross over. The solo courses imho are hardly prepareing you to solo dive, but the cost is low enough that you should ride the ride and get the card. If you only get 1 piece of info you did not have, it will be a succes.

The rule of thumb for solo is slow and shallow with good technique till you rack up some hours. Solo diving at depths that you are comfortable performing a CESA is relatively safe sans entanglement.

Good luck, get some training, a pony bottle or doubles, and get wet.
Eric

After reading the Solo diver manual it seemed the most of what I would get out of it is strict gas planning. Almost all my dives have been solo except for certifications and boat dives in Bonaire which were fairly solo anyhow. I dove solo right after OW but I was very comfortable and the lake was pretty shallow. I still don't know my SAC. I just sort of know how long my tank is going to last judging by how deep I go and act using that judgement, my dive computer, and my compass (I now use a pony). Not sure I would get much out of the course that I will use as a solo diver but looking forward to taking Advanced nitrox and decompression procedures so at that point dive planning will be much more important.

One thing most people forget when they think about solo diving is this little technicality that has nothing to do with skills at all: Insurance.

In my case I think the SDI Solo Diver Course may not teach me anything I don't already do but when I look through my various life and health insurance policies I found a truckload of them exclude scuba altogether - those policies I will get rid of... But others have some wording similar to "blah blah blah ...will be covered if the activities fall within the certification and training level of the insured."

This tells me that the first thing the insurance company's lawyers will tell my wife will be "Sorry, he was diving alone. His PADI AOW was for diving with a buddy. Claim denied."

Regardless if your fire fighter training may or may not have given you the skills needed to be a safe solo diver you might need to get formal training anyway.

In addition to the issue of some shops / charters / resorts forcing you to deal with an instabuddy you or your estate may get shafted by insurance companies if something were to happen. For that reason alone I am probably going to get the SDI card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom