Solo Traveler Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blyslv

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I've been bitten by the dive bug (sea slug?) and just want to dive. I am thinking ofone of these live aboard cruises andwould be interested in hearing about others experiences with it. Was it fun?

Thanks for any info!
B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Solo Traveler Cruises

Need a dive buddy? No problem....Solo travel can be the ultimate in self-indulgence.This is a great opportunity to have a good time and meet other divers who are single travelers. You can rest when you want, dive when you want, there is never a problem finding a dive buddy.

Belize Aggressor III August 30 - September 6, 2014
Turks & Caicos Aggressor II July 25 - 1, 2015
Cayman Aggressor IV August 1 - 8, 2015
Belize Aggressor III August 29 - September 5, 2015
Carib Dancer (Bahamas) September 17 - 24, 2016

Are you looking for someone to dive with or are you expecting them to find someone to take the spare berth in your cabin so you can avoid the single occupancy penalty. The two situations are quite different. On every liveaboard, though I have not been on the Aggressor boats, I have been on, finding someone competent to dive with has not been an issue. Most liveaborad have a divermaster that makes every dive and you can usually pair up with them, but a good liveaboard will make every attempt to pair you with a compatable diver.

Booking a shared cabin is a little more dicey. My experiences have been very positive whether sharing a four berth "bunk house" where individual berths were sold or paired arrangements. On my last paired arrangement, I was in OZ with Mike Ball Expeditions. They paired me up with a Ozzie diver on solo holiday in a cabin. It worked out wonderfully as he ended up being my dive buddy for the entire trip (his wife was not able to make the trip). On the other hand, I recall on one trip where a friend ended up being in a cabin with a hypocondriac who had a portable pharmacy and described in excruciating detail every frigging ailment (real or imagined) and what pill was used for each. The lecture was repeated daily.

Really just about every liveaboard potentially is a solo traveler cruise.

Aggressor is just doing some fast marketing since their intent will be to double you up with a hopefully compatible same sex cabin mate. Maybe they're not taking large group bookings for those weeks - IDK. I can't think of a liveaboard my buddy or I have been on that didn't have solo travelers.

Our last liveaboard had 4 (of 20) A 50 something male diver traveling solo, the son of another couple (not solo traveling) but they shared a cabin. And two women who met on the boat - a nurse from NYC who was part of a group and a new female diver from Canada who didn't know anyone.

Everybody else just "adopted" them and automatically included them in dive plans - on night dives anyway we typically dove in a large group and shared lights, dinner conversations, drinks on the flybridge, dinner at the end of the week in port etc.
Was it fun?
It's IMO about the best diving you can do at a location. We dove Turks/Caicos a couple years ago. The best diving is at French Cay and West Caicos - about a 45min. run from Provo where most people stay. Plus a van shuttle to the marina. So you get 2-3 dives on an all day trip. We moored for 2 days at West Caicos and 2.5 days at French Cay Did a total of 21 dives there - it would've been 22 except the pax decided to drift a wall instead.

When you do the math, in many dive destinations, it can almost be cheaper - sometimes it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom