Solo Without an Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

This is more of a survey. How many of you solo without an octo? My previous setup was a ScubaPro Knighthawk with AIR2, but I'm moving to a BP/W setup and I'm strongly considering not including a third second stage (I plan to have a redundant system).

Thanks.

--
David

I prefer not having the extra failure point.

Off hand can't think of a situation where it would be beneficial on a dive. I do sometimes dive with it regardless because I don't always carry a wrench to reconfigure my gear between dives.

When I meet strangers out of air underwater, they get my reg out of my mouth or my pony reg. I wouldn't want/need a 3rd. The odds of meeting a buddy team both out of air is pretty slight so I don't prepare for it.... they would be forced to buddy breath or CESA.

I assume that the question is about single tank NDL dives. I believe that both agencies that offer solo certification require a redundant gas supply, which would mean a pony bottle. No need for three second stages, so no need for the extra failure point - more streamlined without the octo as well.

The only consideration might be if you were going back and forth between this configuration and a standard, no-pony, buddy dive configuration, you might not want to keep taking the octo off and putting it back on, but realistically how often would most divers need to do that?

Guess, I'll be the odd man out.

I'm against air2 (similars) when solo diving. Not for quality reasons, but because it limits your "interchangability" while far away from replacement parts offshore. Completely put aside the additional failure point issue cause that's like saying you shouldn't have 2 dumps on your BC since it's a extra failure point.

I want a traditional full octo instead of an air2 type so I have the ability to swap out hoses, 2nd stages, covers, etc with either my primary or pony setup. I want as much interchangeability as possible so I have the maximum number or options while out to sea to continue diving. Air2's (similars) just limits my available options.

Guess, I'll be the odd man out.

I'm against air2 (similars) when solo diving. Not for quality reasons, but because it limits your "interchangability" while far away from replacement parts offshore. Completely put aside the additional failure point issue cause that's like saying you shouldn't have 2 dumps on your BC since it's a extra failure point.

I want a traditional full octo instead of an air2 type so I have the ability to swap out hoses, 2nd stages, covers, etc with either my primary or pony setup. I want as much interchangeability as possible so I have the maximum number or options while out to sea to continue diving. Air2's (similars) just limits my available options.
The Air2 fitting unscrews off any LP hose. If it was a big concern you can do a few things. Carry a spare hose if you were worried you might have a hose failure. Carry a $10 fitting to convert any LP hose in to an inflator hose. DGX Adapter: Turns LP Reg Hose into BC Inflator Hose This assumes you're using someone else's BC that has a standard inflator or you're carrying a back up inflator.

@certainmisuse if you have a pony bottle, you don't need a third second stage. It's excessive. You should have a secondary in the event you encounter another diver or have an issue with your second stage *not uncommon to have an exhaust valve fail, mouthpiece come off, etc* and the secondary is quite nice to have. No need for 3 though

Completely put aside the additional failure point issue cause that's like saying you shouldn't have 2 dumps on your BC since it's a extra failure point.

As far as additional failure point, yes the 2nd dump is an additional failure point, but it has a purpose. The extra 2nd stage doesn't. Additionally the extra 2nd is just one more thing to get tangled that has to be secured close to your body.

I carry service kits so I don't need interchangability. Also, since my pony 2nd stage is a Cressi XS2 and my primary 2nd stage is a Hollis 500SE the only thing interchangable would be the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom