Solo Without an Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer not having the extra failure point.

Off hand can't think of a situation where it would be beneficial on a dive

An octo is not that useless.

When a small stone gets stuck under the exhalation diaphraghm and you regulator constantly floods, THEN you will appreciate an octo... although having a mouth wash at each inhalation also sounds refreshing :D There have also been cases of broken (inhalation) diaphraghms and other issues such as lost mouth pieces (someone died; of panic I guess).

When I dive solo, I have two small tanks, two first stages, two regulators, two buoyancy devices, two cutting tools, two light sources, two masks and two time/depth gauges/computers. All independent. The only thing lacking is an independent brain (and a pair of extra eyes and hands), and that's a known vulnerability.

There are times when I dive without redundancy (thin wetsuit, minimal weights, neutral cylinders, no buoyancy compensator, only one first stage + seconds stage), and it's not just historical diving. Warm shallow waters do not always mandate full redundancy - especially when depths remain reasonable.

My first solo dive was in Elk Lake, Oregon in 1959 when I was 13 years old. I wore a swim suit, 38 cubic foot tank with a K-valve, Healthways Scuba regulator with a restrictor orifice for a reserve warning, blue Churchill Fins by AMF Voit, and an oval mask. I went down to about twenty feet and watched trout thread their way around aquatic weeks.

It would be in 1963 that I would finally get certified LACounty, and I continue to dive solo even through 2019 (haven't hit the water yet, thanks to Covid-19). I was solo diving before there was such a thing, and I just said that I was Scuba diving. I have a lot more to say, but it's late and I need to turn in.

SeaRat

I realize most second stage failures stem from the first stage, but can the failure stem from the primary second stage?

Is there a chance that the primary second stage will fail in delivering air - so switching to the octopus as opposed to the pony is an option?

I realize most second stage failures stem from the first stage, but can the failure stem from the primary second stage?

Is there a chance that the primary second stage will fail in delivering air - so switching to the octopus as opposed to the pony is an option?
Not an expert, but regulators are generally designed to fail open. If they malfunction, they will tend to free flow. I have never heard of a regulator failing and not delivering air on a full tank. That said, the dive is over. With an uncontrolled free flow, switching to a octo won’t change much. If you Switch to a pony, you can turn off the free flow and ascend.

I have never heard of a regulator suddenly failing to deliver air on a full cylinder in the middle of a dive.

As Subcooled mentioned upthread, not all failures are failures of the demand valve. Something lodged in the exhaust valve or a tear in the diaphragm (or it pulling loose on an edge) will cause the second stage to flood and be nearly useless... but your octo will be just fine. I recently had a borrowed second stage that I was trying out tear the mouthpiece right along the lip of the second stage mouthpiece flange.... redefined "breathing wet," I got about a 50/50 air water mix on inhale. Switched to my necklaced octo and continued the dive.
So in short, yes there are some use cases for an octo when solo... it's up to you to decide if they are worth it in your own pro/con evaluation.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom