Solo wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
As a trained solo diver, I dive solo all the time and love it. But when talking to other divers they always have negative things to say about this practice. Before you flame me please remember I have two of every critical peace of gear and always dive by the RULES. Is there anyone that has the same oppinion of solo diving as I have?

You dive solo and love it, but what is your opinion about it?

You have two of every critical piece of gear except your brain.

Here's a recent post about a solo wreck diver.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t63901.html

Charlie Allen

p.s. Yes, I also like solo dives, but I'm not going to try and convince anybody that I'm not increasing my risks doing so.

novadiver:
As a trained solo diver, I dive solo all the time and love it. But when talking to other divers they always have negative things to say about this practice. Before you flame me please remember I have two of every critical peace of gear and always dive by the RULES. Is there anyone that has the same oppinion of solo diving as I have?

I dive solo regularly, and believe I'm fairly safe. I don't hit depths much beyond 60 feet without a buddy, nor do I penetrate overhead environments.

Your subject header seems to suggest you want to wreck dive solo....Are you penetrating wrecks solo? I'd consider that quite risky, and headed for catastrophe...

novadiver:

I dive solo about 1/4 of the time. I have been trained to do it and I teach the SDI program because I believe in it. As you say you are properly trained and equipped for the dive.
Personally I feel very relaxed on solo dives and even find I consume less air when solo diving because I can go wherever I feel like without having to signal my intention to another diver.
As far as wreck diving solo, I proceed with extreme caution. Overhead environments are one place where a buddy can really save your life. If you choose to penetrate solo I think you should be very familiar with the wreck and procees carefully. I think an earlier thread on SB revealed there are plenty of solo divers out there, many just "coming out of the closet"

cheers,

Charlie99:
You dive solo and love it, but what is your opinion about it?

You have two of every critical piece of gear except your brain.

Here's a recent post about a solo wreck diver.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t63901.html

Charlie Allen

p.s. Yes, I also like solo dives, but I'm not going to try and convince anybody that I'm not increasing my risks doing so.

I would not stop solo diving based on comments from a police chief talking to a reporter.
I would like to know some hard facts on solo fatalities, based on training and experience level.
If I tried to fly a plane right now the results would probably be similar.

cheers,

So, since you mention "solo wreck diving", I assume you mean diving in an overhead environment solo?

scubasean:
I dive solo regularly, and believe I'm fairly safe. I don't hit depths much beyond 60 feet without a buddy, nor do I penetrate overhead environments.

Your subject header seems to suggest you want to wreck dive solo....Are you penetrating wrecks solo? I'd consider that quite risky, and headed for catastrophe...

thanks for your input. The rules I refered to are simple, NO DECO, NO OVERHEAD, rule of thirds for gas management and stick to your dive plan.there are plenty of things to look for on the outside of the wreck, and I like to take pictures too,

novadiver:
thanks for your input. The rules I refered to are simple, NO DECO, NO OVERHEAD, rule of thirds for gas management and stick to your dive plan.there are plenty of things to look for on the outside of the wreck, and I like to take pictures too,
You can ignore my question since you just answered it..

Novadiver... I'm glad to hear you're not operating in an overhead environment.

Divers who operate solo in an overhead environment are similar to free-style rock climbers. They are suicidal risk takers who put the lives of the search and recovery teams at risk for no discernable reward, other than to beat their chest, look down and say "Ha - I did that."

Harsh? Sure. Do I believe that? Absolutely.

Boogie711:
Novadiver... I'm glad to hear you're not operating in an overhead environment.

Divers who operate solo in an overhead environment are similar to free-style rock climbers. They are suicidal risk takers who put the lives of the search and recovery teams at risk for no discernable reward, other than to beat their chest, look down and say "Ha - I did that."

Harsh? Sure. Do I believe that? Absolutely.

PLEASE read my post about THE RULES.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom