[Solomons] Iron bottom sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCT

New
Reaction score
Hi,
In the month of June I intend to plan a trip to the Solomon Islands. In a more precise Guadalcanal to dive the wreck of the Iron Bottom Sound (Peen J. ...) someone would there be a feedback on centers and hotels either in Honiara and Tulagi ?
Thanks

B.R.

My understanding is you'll have to tech dive most of those to get to them. That said, I'd love to see them.

We only stayed in Honiara long enough to get on the Bilikiki liveaboard. Small place, very hot.

My research showed it was really a liveaboard area with some shore excursions. A few years ago there was a lot of political problems with some violence. A few US East Coast wreck guys had a tight situation on a tour of Bloody Ridge and had to get out fast before things got real ugly.

As for the wrecks, all of the large warships are very deep - 1,000 feet+ with the exception of the USS Atlanta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Atlanta_(CL-51) which is between 350 to about 450 IANTD Nitrox Diver Scuba Diving Magazine ean eanx trimix rebreather cave wreck decompression

There are a lot of other ships close to shore that are in more rec depths and marine life is reported to be very good.

There is a resort that specializes in tec diving the wrecks in that area. We met the owner and he really seemed to know his stuff. We were dropping people of at his resort from the Bilikiki, you could email them and get his info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom