Some more Info on the Sea&Sea YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are doing some kind of firmware update I'm hoping it will address the problem. I have just used the strobe today again. (Cold Ontario water) Didn't take too many photos but am very pleased with the operation of the strobe. I am not, as mentioned previously, encountering a problem with this unit but will go through the process of returning it just to resolve any future problems that may develop.
I sure hope they've got to the bottom of the problem as it is a very nice unit.

I brought my D1 to Backscatter on Wednesday, as I was down in Monterey for a five day trip. The plan from the week before was to swap my D-1 for another.

However, when I got there, they said that they'd just gotten word of the D-1 recall from Sea&Sea and had no spare D-1s in stock. They gave me a box (with foam "peanuts") and a duplicate sales receipt for the return. They also let me use - for free - one of their YS-110s for the rest of my trip.

Then, I called Sea&Sea to get a RMA number for the return. They arranged to pick up my D-1 from my hotel. For free!

Great customer service from both Backscatter and Sea&Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two units of YS-d1 recently, i would say one of the best strobes which is compatible to both compact and dslr. And it's value for its cost!

so its been about 2 months since this last post, is it safe to say s&s have ironed out the defects with this strobe? anyone else have any issues? would hate to spend all this money on a new strobe only to have to ship it back and forth.

I saw a post the other day over on wetpixel that Guy Harrison, I think, had to return his two new YS-D1 strobes to Backscatter for replacement.
From memory, these two strobes were only one trip old?
Don't know if this helps or confounds your issue?
Bruce

There has been no issue with recent YS-D1 strobes. There was a software glitch with some of the early run. Just send it in and they will fix it. Here is the official notice from Sea & Sea. Hope this helps

[h=2]Important Product Notice[/h]Since 1972 SEA&SEA has produced the most advanced and rugged underwater photography equipment on the market and continues to develop technologically advanced products.

Our Service Department has made available a firmware revision for the YS-D1 digital strobe that updates the low battery level indicator feature and functionality.

If you have purchased, sold or are in possession of YS-D1 digital strobe(s) in the following serial number ranges, please contact your authorized SEA&SEA dealer or SEA&SEA directly for return of the strobe(s) for a factory firmware update.

Product: YS-D1 Strobe (PN: SS-03114, #03114)
Serial Number Range: All units below 104102102 and between 104102251 – 104102552.
Description: Firmware revision to update low-battery level indicator feature and other related functionality

I saw a post the other day over on wetpixel that Guy Harrison, I think, had to return his two new YS-D1 strobes to Backscatter for replacement.
From memory, these two strobes were only one trip old?
Don't know if this helps or confounds your issue?
Bruce

Not me, must have been someone else. I bought 2 ys-d1s from Hong Kong. The dealer there actually told me to wait as S&S was coming to do the software update on his entire batch that were within the affected serial numbers. I have had them for two months and about 1500 shots. They are working perfectly so far. They are really nice strobes!

There has been no issue with recent YS-D1 strobes. There was a software glitch with some of the early run. Just send it in and they will fix it. Here is the official notice from Sea & Sea. Hope this helps

Important Product Notice

Since 1972 SEA&SEA has produced the most advanced and rugged underwater photography equipment on the market and continues to develop technologically advanced products.

Our Service Department has made available a firmware revision for the YS-D1 digital strobe that updates the low battery level indicator feature and functionality.

If you have purchased, sold or are in possession of YS-D1 digital strobe(s) in the following serial number ranges, please contact your authorized SEA&SEA dealer or SEA&SEA directly for return of the strobe(s) for a factory firmware update.

Product: YS-D1 Strobe (PN: SS-03114, #03114)
Serial Number Range: All units below 104102102 and between 104102251 – 104102552.
Description: Firmware revision to update low-battery level indicator feature and other related functionality
I recently bought a pair of YS-D1 strobes to replace my aging 110a strobes, that didn't fall in the range listed above(mine were 1040102863 and 4). They were not included in the range effected by the recall and it was well after they new of the problem (November 20th 2012). I have always had Sea and Sea housings and strobes and have been very happy with them. This was for a trip to Wakatobi after two years of planning, and was very disappointed that during every dive both of the strobes flashed red and green after anywhere from 4-10 shots under water. Now I suppose I only have myself to blame for not checking them out first but I still don't understand why these were shipped to my local dive shop directly from Sea and Sea without the firmware already updated. So after a week of very frustrated diving and many missed opportunities and then nearly 60 hours of air travel I returned home and I returned my strobes to the dive shop and they rma'd them to sea and sea and all I got was a nice little letter in the box saying they received and evaluated my strobes and that my units have been updated with the latest firmware v1.1-4. So moral of the story for me--don't by sea and sea, looks like Inon's are in my future. Your mileage may vary but I would first insist on having your distributor verify the firmware has been applied to any YS-D1 you purchase in the future.

With a little trepidation, I ordered the YSD1. (Bluewater package with ULCS tray/arms). I was hesitant buying the camera also, the Canon S100 with the negative reports on that also. Sounds like my rig will be full of problem children. Hopefully all have ironed there issues out. I'm sure the manufacturers cannot enjoy getting units constantly returned for warranty repairs. Wish me luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom