Some more Info on the Sea&Sea YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The box, containing the strobe, will be marked with a sticker 'FIRMWARE UPDATE V1.4'
I don't know what negative reports you have had a about the Canon S100, but my friend and I both have one and have been very pleased. We just returned from Truk Lagoon. He got some great photos using dual YsD1 strobes and his Canon S100 in an FIX housing. I was using a new Sony Rx 100 in a Nauticam housing with a single YS-D1 and was very pleased with the strobe.

Just got the strobe. No sticker anywhere indicating firmware version. Ser # ends in 3726 (beyond the range in the recall notice). However, a few posts ago someone mentioned his was past the serial # range and still did not have the firmware updated. A little nervous now. These aren't cheap units. I would hate to arrive at an expensive destination and find out oh sorry, just send it back, we'll fix it. (like the earlier poster endured). In fact, I wouldn't appreciate doing it beforehand either. It should be updated already. A lot of money tied up in this hobby and you expect better with the amount of money charged for these items.

As far as the s100, I was referring to the earlier lens error issues that were very prevalent. That seems to have died down. So far my camera has been working great, but I tend to switch between the s100 and a T2i, so not getting a ton of use out of it. Can't want to bring everything below the surface. But nervous about any potential issues.

Check with the retailer. They should be able to verify that the strobe has the firmware update. Hope everything works out for you. I know how you feel having that uncertain feeling.

Just checked with the seller. They contacted S&S. Only strobes that required the update will get the firmware revision sticker. All newer ones (after the initial run with the issue) will automatically have the firmware applied (and no sticker). Should be good to go.

Now to get it wet with the rest of my new gear: S100, FIX S100 housing, ULCS tray/arms, Inon lens -UFL165AD, UCL165AD, and the YSD1 strobe. Should be a nice improvement over my older Canon A640 in a Canon housing with a Sealife SL960D strobe.

DSC01707-Jimmy in Action.jpgMy friend Jim using his setup similar to yours in Truk a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom