Some of the most epic diving destinations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about "Top 5" lists is that they are subjective, not objective. Your Top 5 might be totally different from my Top 5. That is fine. A difference of opinion is a good thing, but just know that you will likely never get a consensus of what represents the Top 5 when the sample size is as large as the membership of ScubaBoard..

This guy needs to travel the world more, before posting such rating!

I have never been to French Polynesia. I booked a trip to the place last May on French Polynesia Master, but COVID messed it up. From the video, I can say Socorro (I have been there 3 times) and Cocos (I’ve been there twice, the 3rd time will be in September) look better than French Polynesia.

I wound not include Mainland Mexico (I have been there 3 times) in top 5 as there are much better places to be in top 5 like Komodo (I’ve been there 3 times) & Raja Ampat (I have been there 8 times). Even Maldives (I have been there 3 times) & Red Sea (I have been there 3 times) are much better than Mainland Mexico.

I have never been in Anilao. However, from watching the video, muck diving in Lembeh (I have been there 2 times), Tulamben, Bali (I have been there 8 times) and Batanta in Raja Ampat, are much better.

I have been to Galápagos once. I may return to the place next year, but it’s not what I consider the number 1 diving destination.

I rather pick a top 10 than top 5. So IMHO, my top 10 diving destinations are:
1. Raja Ampat
2. Komodo
3. Galápagos
4. Socorro
5. Cocos
6. Banda Sea
7. Maldives
8. Palau
9. Lembeh
10.Red Sea

Wow, you have been diving in quite a lot of awesome places! And that's a nice list!
Where in Mexico have you dived?

Well, for reasons of time and money, I haven't been to most of them (just one), so for me it's more of a wish list! If I won the lottery and enough time went by, here's what I'd target and why.

1.) Papua, New Guinea. I hope to be blessed with a trip to Raja Ampat someday since it seems more practical, but from researching on the forum, I get the impression that for tropical coral reef diving, Raja Ampat edges out Komodo (not trying to start a fight here...) and PNG equals or edges out RA, plus PNG has WW2 wrecks. So does the Solomon Islands.

So, by explanation and reputation, I'd aim for PNG as arguably (there will always be argument) the (or amongst the) best tropical coral reef diving on Earth.

2.) The Galapagos Islands - I've been. Very nice; my complaint is I wish the viz. was much better so I could better appreciate and photograph the life teeming in the waters. I wasn't there in whale shark season; still haven't seen one. The topside, the 'household name' recognition, the strong historical role of the Galapagos...I don't think Cocos Island or Socorros (neither of which I've been to) match that. Cocos Island has tiger sharks (you decide if that's a pro. or a con.), but I've dove with tiger sharks out of Jupiter, FL with Emerald Charter, so I wasn't looking for them here.

3.) Guadalupe, Mexico. We can argue whether hanging out in scuba gear in a cage in a 'reverse zoo' situation is 'diving,' but close encounters with multiple great white sharks in good viz., hopefully taking snap shots of epic scenes of horrific primordial majesty? How does that not make the list?

4.) Komodo, Indonesia. More drift diving, billed as great but not quite up there with Raja Ampat, but...the chance to walk topside in the domain of the Komodo dragon. Another one of those 'household word' name recognization destinations. A neat place to tell your kid you've been.

5.) Tie between the Red Sea and Australia's Great Barrier Reef. This would get down to topside comparisons. Both have a rep. for great diving...that you can beat at other places. Both have pretty strong name recognition and it's my understanding are best done by live-aboard. If we remove cost as a factor, then topside excursions come into play. If you could go on a river tour and watch salt-water crocodiles lunge out of the water for food close to you, or ride a camel in front of the Pyramids, what's your preference?

This is a very subjective list. I view wrecks as artificial reefs; I'm not a big history buff. So Truk Lagoon doesn't call to me. I have no technical diving training or credentials, so seeking to dive with coelacanths or some other off-the-wall extreme 'ends of the Earth' experience isn't in the cards. I'm not claustrophobic but cave or ice diving? No! I had one trip to enjoy California diving with kelp, harbor seals and California sea lions; kelp rocks!

So my priorities focus on tropical coral reef diving and/or big animals as a solo dive traveler willing to do live-aboards. If someone's rolling in money with luxury-loving non-divers to entertain, I've read good things about Wakatobi (emphasis on read; I'm not paying for that!!!).

Good luck with the lottery, these are some nice spots :)
I didn't even think about Guadalupe, but getting close with a great white is definitely a once in a life time experience!

The thing about "Top 5" lists is that they are subjective, not objective. Your Top 5 might be totally different from my Top 5. That is fine. A difference of opinion is a good thing, but just know that you will likely never get a consensus of what represents the Top 5 when the sample size is as large as the membership of ScubaBoard..

That's for sure! But it's nice to see what people think and maybe add a couple of destinations to my own bucket list :)

Wow, you have been diving in quite a lot of awesome places! And that's a nice list!
Where in Mexico have you dived?
Isla Mujeres, Cenotes in PDC/Tulum, Holbox, Cabo Pulmo, Cabo San Lucas & The Corridor. I’ll swing by Cozumel in one of these days. Need to checkout Guadalupe Island for the Great White Shark first.

I like this guy’s list of the world’s best diving destination video better :)

That's for sure! But it's nice to see what people think and maybe add a couple of destinations to my own bucket list :)
OK, here we go. I'll give you two lists, the Top 5 Dive Locations I have been to and the Top 5 Dive Locations I would like to go to

Top 5 Dive Locations I have been to (in no particular order)
1. Socorro Islands
2. Isla Guadeloupe
3. Fiji
4 Turks and Caicos Islands
5. Bahamas

Top 5 Dive Locations I would like to go to (again, in no particular order)
1. Maldives
2. Palau
3. Coral Sea
4. Raja Ampat
5 Philippines

I will list the place that I would never make it!!!!
Not in particular order
1. Bikini Atoll.
2. Wrecks of Jutland
3. Kavieng in PNG.
4. Poor Knights in NZ
the list is too long!!!!

Cheers

Isla Mujeres, Cenotes in PDC/Tulum, Holbox, Cabo Pulmo, Cabo San Lucas & The Corridor. I’ll swing by Cozumel in one of these days. Need to checkout Guadalupe Island for the Great White Shark first.

I like this guy’s list of the world’s best diving destination video better :)

I'm curious if you would put Mexico on the list after Cozumel.
Nice video! I only wish the spots would have been mentioned, I wasn't sure about some of them. The sharks towards the end are very cool!

OK, here we go. I'll give you two lists, the Top 5 Dive Locations I have been to and the Top 5 Dive Locations I would like to go to

Top 5 Dive Locations I have been to (in no particular order)
1. Socorro Islands
2. Isla Guadeloupe
3. Fiji
4 Turks and Caicos Islands
5. Bahamas

Top 5 Dive Locations I would like to go to (again, in no particular order)
1. Maldives
2. Palau
3. Coral Sea
4. Raja Ampat
5 Philippines

Nice! How is the diving in Guadeloupe?

Sardine Run in South Africa gets no love. :(

One of the greatest dives on the planet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom