Some pictures with my new E-PM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karannarang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently got a new E-PM1 and rented a strobe for a recent trip to Grand Cayman. See some pictures below (Post processing in Lightroom). I had a difficult time using the strobe effectively as i was new to the camera and the strobe..and scuba :) Feedback welcome. Note: New to lightroom as well...lol

i-JGH2JpW-M.jpg

i-fk65khF-M.jpg

i-LgNr6gf-M.jpg

i-rtqP3BZ-M.jpg

i-NPB8vm4-M.jpg

i-n8hZm2D-M.jpg

i-SJ8Sx3X-M.jpg

i-BKwj5Xk-M.jpg

nice.

Which strobe were you using? Looks like the strobe didn't help a lot since all your shots are quite bluish. It's either your strobe position is not right or the strobe didn't fire at the same time when you shoot.
Here are the photos of my eels. One is without strobe and the there one is with dual YS-02. I had trouble firing my strobes at first, and I took my friend's advise to set the internal flash to 1/8 which finally solved the problem. Remember to set your white balance with the fishy mode, it gives your pictures more red colour.
1005669_10153086369235507_413687352_n.jpg1151078_10153154762290507_1381198003_n.jpg

Nice pictures! My E-PM1 is supposed to arrive on Monday (birthday/anniversary gift), and I can't wait to try it out! I was trying to decide if it would be worth it to rent a strobe for our trip to Bonaire in November - I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it! (But I guess I will need to learn sometime if I ever want to get one of my own.)

Renting a strobe is a good introduction to those essential, though expensive accessories. If you rent a strobe in Bonaire, your supplier will be able to provide instruction on how to use it. Most of those businesses can also provide training. So budget in some money to take a couple of underwater photo courses with them and your photo skills will be developed much faster.

Checking out some online information before going on your dive trip will be helpful. Here are a few starter sites:
Check out the "Tips & Techniques" section on Scubaboard: Tips and Techniques

jackandsuedrafahl.com
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com
wetpixel.com

Without a strobe the underwater camera settings may be quite helpful. Frequent manual white balance checks as your depth changes, using a good size white target (a wrist slate is fine) are most useful. Capturing images in RAW mode offers the best range of post processing opportunities. And don't forget that a flat blue (or green, freshwater) hued underwater photo can often be processed into a very pleasing B&W photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom