Son gets Cert and Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I started my youngest diving when he was 8. He took to it like a natural. But after further consideration of the unknown risks... and a few SB talks with Walter... I decided it would be best to slow down. So... for the past 6 years... I've kept him in the pool.

[Proud father bit]In that time he has become quite skilled. He dives with spot on buoyancy and trim, great propulsion techniques including back kicks, has a strong, well rounded skill set, has a good hold of some serious theory, and has learned all of the important principles of gas management, etc. He has learned how to do some basic equipment repair and handles his little Hog rig like a pro. His last pool dive was blind folded, mask off, searching for a knife, while holding perfect cave form and using a non-silting frog. Needless to say, he had become a bit tired of the pool.[/proud father bit]

It was time to certify and get salty. So, with half the family in tow, we headed down to San Carlos, Mx.

Day one was super. He did excellent and his interest in the ocean and it's critters was overwhelming. In addition to working through his skills he had a chance to play with an octopus and some sea lion pups. He even found some seahorses. He was all over the place finding stuff. Even little things like a sea cucumber brought a big smile.

We were beat at the end of the day and stopped by the Marina Cantina for a huge club sandwich. We grabbed an extra for his brother but he wolfed it down later that night. The next morning he was complaining of some nausea and had puked a couple of times. (This is something that he does on occasion) But he was feeling better and anxious to get on the boat for some more diving.

But throughout the day he gradually lost his drive. I had to scold him a bit on some skills and by the afternoon he was complaining of more nausea and a stomach ache. But he was tough and gutted it out. Later that night I got the phone call from his room... "Dad, my stomach is killing me!"

As I examined him, I couldn't believe it. He had every classic finding of a perfed appendix! I tried to talk myself out of it but I knew. It was 2 in the morning and we were 6 hours south of the border and a look out the window showed me that the entire state of Sonora was drunk off it's butt. Mom and I decided to pack up but wait for the sun before we got on the road.

By the time we got in the line at the border, we had a very sick boy. We live in Phoenix but there was no way we were gonna make it home. We made a dash to Tucson.

8 days later, he was released from the hospital! Yes, he had a very rough time. Today, after three more weeks at home with a PIC and q6h IV ABx, he's fine.... back to school and doin' his thing.

Scarry!

I can't imagine that it gets much scarier than that.

Glad to hear that he's doing so well.

I'm glad to hear that he's OK.

Congratulations to him!

Sounds like an experience I had last August.
Went for a night dive and my stomach was hurting a bit on the way home. Had to take some ibuprofen to kill the pain so I could sleep that night.
Woke up and felt like I was being stabbed. A few hours later I was in urgent care, then the ER, then the OR...
Nothing like unscheduled surgery! :11:

I caught mine very early -- had the procedure done the first day I felt the pain. I was in the hospital for one night and then released, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The next few days, though...yeesh. :shakehead:

I am glad to hear you son is doing alright. Surgery is definitely not a walk in the park.

I diagnosed Peter's appendicitis when we'd only been seeing each other for three months. Luckily, before it perfed, but I don't think he's as much of a "good Marine" as your son is :)

Glad to hear it all came out well in the end.

We sent 8 (count 'em, EIGHT) cases of appendicitis to the OR over the last 48 hours. It's contagious, you know . . .

Hmmmmm. Do 68-year-olds get appendicitis?

Stephen, I'm so glad to hear he's doing ok! Kiddo is very fortunate that you were able to tell what was going on! He deserves a medal to go with that card! :medal:

And so do you Big Brother!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom