son wants to scuba for his 8th birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limey

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son who will be turning 8 in August is keen to learn to dive. From what I understand kids 8 and older can learn to dive in the States. I live in Humboldt county northern california and want to find the nearest place for him to learn. I heard that the place in fort bragg shut down. I got certified years ago and need to do a refresher, I was hoping to do a weekend away somewhere me and my boy can go. He is a proficient swimmer and can swim underwater like a fish. Thanks

PADI, NAUI, and SSI all have 10 years as the minimum age for their junior open water programs.

But he can do a "try scuba" program at 8 that won't lead to certification but will give him the experience.

Best wishes,

My two sons learned to dive well before 8. They had their first 2-liters tanks in a swimming pool around 2 years, 2.5 years.
First dive in the sea, at Capo Caccia, in Sardinia, at 5 years old. At 8 years they had already accumulated 25-30 dives each, they were capable of reaching a depth of 8-10 meters, and they were already going in small pass-through caverns.
Here you see the older one, Adriano at 8 years:

fetch

As you can see, no BCD, shorty suit, only 1 regulator, no SPG, proper fins for good thrust.

Bubblemaker. My son's 8th birthday party was a bubblemaker party and the kids had a blast.

This is not anything leading to any sort of certification, and there is no expectation other than having fun breathing underwater in a safe and closely monitored environment. Definitely do it!

Seems awful young to me, but then you hear the occasional story like Angelo is telling. Personally I wouldn't do it. You'll never forgive yourself if something happens...

Not a good idea. 8 year olds don’t have the cognitive skills necessary to make possible life threatening decisions. 10, Maybe, 12, more than likely.

PADI has been doing this safely for decades, around the world. The aren't making any decisions. They just have to remember to keep breathing, which they do.

8 year olds don’t have the cognitive skills necessary to make possible life threatening decisions.
I doubt they're making many life threatening decisions being lead around the deep end of a swimming pool with an instructor. Not like they're out doing open water dives.

8 year olds don’t have the cognitive skills necessary to make possible life threatening decisions.

Dude, if your 8 year old is making life threatening decisions, you should probably lock your bedroom door at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom