son wants to scuba for his 8th birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son who will be turning 8 in August is keen to learn to dive. From what I understand kids 8 and older can learn to dive in the States. I live in Humboldt county northern california and want to find the nearest place for him to learn. I heard that the place in fort bragg shut down. I got certified years ago and need to do a refresher, I was hoping to do a weekend away somewhere me and my boy can go. He is a proficient swimmer and can swim underwater like a fish. Thanks
It is entirely possible for kids to learn to dive underwater, however he must learn self control above all, and I would suggest seeing if you could start him out in a fairly empty 20ft lake for the first 10 dives, just so he can get used to equipment, buoyancy, etc. It is usually not recommended for a kid to start scuba so young. That being said, it is possible just so long as you or the divemaster is good with children and stays alert around him. I've heard of many an incident locally when there is a kid going underwater, 20ft down, accidentally taking a glup of water, then holding their breath and zooming up to the surface. This leads to lung overextension, which can cause paralysis and death.

I didn’t let my kids until they were the advised age. I find this whole concept super interesting. There are lots of young kids who for instance have been driving farm equipment for years and have excellent skill sets. Should they be allowed to get driver’s licenses years earlier because they want to? It is not just about the actual activities, but also teaching your children the importance of respecting the rules in the world they live in. Besides waiting for something you really want makes it so much sweeter when it is attained.

I didn’t let my kids until they were the advised age. I find this whole concept super interesting. There are lots of young kids who for instance have been driving farm equipment for years and have excellent skill sets. Should they be allowed to get driver’s licenses years earlier because they want to? It is not just about the actual activities, but also teaching your children the importance of respecting the rules in the world they live in. Besides waiting for something you really want makes it so much sweeter when it is attained.
Good points. I probably noted way back in the thread that in most areas we don't let people drive 'til age 16. Then most places have instituted the "gradual licensing" thing like 20 years ago. Most (not me for some reason) chomp at the bit way earlier than that age. There must be some reason for those laws...

Kind of a zombie thread, but since it has come back, I should just mention again that there are two interpretations of the OP's statement. I'm not sure what the OP's son actually wants, but since other people with kids might be reading this:

1) He wants to become certified as a scuba diver so that he can dive in open water independent of an instructor. This would be a less common desire of a young child, but certainly possible. That's a hard no in my opinion. Yes there might be the occasional prodigy out there who can learn to dive a rebreather at age 6, but I'm pretty sure no responsible agency is going to do that.

2) He wants to breathe underwater. This is a much more common desire, and one that can be very safely done at age 8 with the bubble maker program. A small group of 8 year olds in a swimming pool with some instructors makes for a VERY memorable birthday party, in my experience. Certainly, this has a much better safety record than the Discover Diving programs, for which there are a lot of reports of them being pushed past the limits of safety in terms of environment and student to instructor ratios, as well as some deaths.

And I'll bet that a lot of the kids who do bubble maker parties go on to get certified when they are older.

I am all for Bubblemaker which to my mind is different than learning to dive. Great intro for kids.
Of course there is also a level intermediate, above the "bubble maker" and below a fully certified autonomous diver.
Going on very progressively, and starting around 6 years, a child can learn and practice a number of potentially dangerous activities, which are to be practised only under the surveillance of a qualified instructor (I mean, an instructor qualified for teaching to children, as my wife, for example. I do not hold that certification, she is qualified for children).
The activities I am referring to include:
- motocross
- trial
- alpine ski (probably the most dangerous one)
- free climbing
- water ski
- windsurf
- surf
- sailing
- parafly
- free diving
- scuba diving
- canyoning
- kayak
- rafting
Depending on the activity, the age and the experience of the children, it is possible to see also quite high levels of risk being faced by these children.
I have seen extreme risks particular in alpine ski: children aged 6 coming down black tracks at speed of 80 km/h, slaloming between other skiers, making jumps of 20-30 meters, and often falling outside the track and between big trees. There have been a number of serious accidents, and now it is mandatory to wear a full helmet and some protections for youngsters below 18 years when practising alpine ski. Definitely much more dangerous than a tropical dive at, say 10 meters, in crystal-clear water and no current, over a sandy floor...
Our two sons were initiated to a number of these activities starting at 6 years (actually ski at 5 years), and they never had any accident in all of them. A good instructor, good safety rules and a very progressive path without never exposing children to what they are not ready for, ensures to have them enjoying these activities with a reasonable degree of risk.
On the other hand, they both had sever accidents outside these guided and surveilled activities: when going to school on their bicycle or motorbike, when playing football with friends, when drinking too much at a party.
I am quite convinced that keeping our children at zero risk is both impossible and not good for preparing them to the risks of the real life, when they will not be controlled and supervised. And instead it is very useful, when possible, to let our children to be trained in possibly ALL the activities listed above, getting a very precise understanding of the safety rules and of the limits not to be exceeded, on the importance of always following carefully the indication of the instructor.
They learn discipline, self control, and the importance of obeying to rules.
Keeping them at home, playing videogames, in the long run is less safe, as they never face real dangers, and are not equipped for controlling their body and their brains in a stressful, life-threatening situation.

Angelo, I think we are in basic agreement. I would think that different ages may be appropriate depending on which of the activities you list.
Not sure what you mean by sailing-- the child "captains" the boat or just performs some duties?
The only one on the list I recall doing was (body, not board) surfing....Riding in on waves maybe 2 meters high--age 13+?
Mostly, I played a lot of basketball.
I know you can get seriously injured playing team sports--perhaps more likely than scuba diving. Only difference between scuba and the others listed is you are in your natural environment, not underwater relying on breathing and other equipment.
Then again, I think anything up in the air (parafly, parasail, parachuting) is much more dangerous than scuba. With scuba you have time to solve problems as long as you don't panic and have air.
Not sure how this fits into the thread, just some thoughts.

Angelo, I think we are in basic agreement. I would think that different ages may be appropriate depending on which of the activities you list.
Not sure what you mean by sailing-- the child "captains" the boat or just performs some duties?
The only one on the list I recall doing was (body, not board) surfing....Riding in on waves maybe 2 meters high--age 13+?
Mostly, I played a lot of basketball.
I know you can get seriously injured playing team sports--perhaps more likely than scuba diving. Only difference is you are in your natural environment, not underwater relying on breathing and other equipment.
Not sure how this fits into the thread, just some thoughts.
Here in Italy at sail clubs you see regattas of very small sail boats, called "optimist", conducted by 8-years-old children. One on each boat, alone. They often crash one against the others, and it is not rare to see the boat turning upside down...
See here: Optimist – world’s number 1 boat for the under 16’s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom