Sonoma Coast Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Some of the hard core club members of North Coast Divers spent the weekend camping on the remote Sonoma Coast of Northern California. Here we have no cell service :shocked2:, few people, mountain lions, and great white sharks. It is one my favorite places to scuba dive :) The storms of late have been BIG with massive swells and really high tides. Our beaches that had remained much the same for years, were altered this year. Below you will see the pictures that tell the story with some captions above them.

We started our trek from Fort Ross. The goal was to hike to Reef campground/beach, and pick up plastic garbage along the way.
attachment.php

You can see how beautiful and pristine our coast truly is. Check out the water vis :D There were actually two idiots out diving in that. When I mentioned it to the ranger to keep and eye on them he goes "Today?" He was flabbergasted someone would choose to scuba dive in these conditions, and headed off to go grab his binoculars to watch over them. See second photo to give you an idea of the entry and exit conditions. They often rescue the over zealous ab divers when they drive all the way to the coast and are not going to go home without abs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

After hiking for awhile we came to Reef Beach. This is a state park and closed due to California's budget cuts. The only way in is to hike.
attachment.php

Here Don is picking up garbage, with Odie on the right, who has the blue bag, and Erik in the back ground. Odie scores major points for bringing bags to put the plastic garbage in.
attachment.php

We ran around for only a short time collecting garbage and didn't even get 1/8 of what was on the beach. Since there was no where to dump the garbage we had to pack it all the way back out and could not carry much more. I talked to the park ranger and he said he would let us get a pickup truck into the gates if we wanted to perform another cleanup at a later time.
attachment.php

I pulled a few common items to show that this is stuff all of us use and discard on a daily basis. We may be good ourselves about throwing stuff away, but what about our friends and other people? Do they know about the issues that we humans are creating? Lets work towards educating everyone we can and try to slow this destruction of the earth down. It starts by picking up other peoples garbage one piece at a time. I call it my good deed for the day! Every time we visit the coast we pick up some kind of garbage from the dive sites.
attachment.php

Later in the day we hiked down from Still Water Cove campground to the beach. The redwood forests and all the ferns are incredible.
attachment.php

We sat on Still Water Beach and watched the sun set. BTW there was kelp wrapped around the picnic tables :shocked2:
attachment.php

Sunday afternoon Keith and I went to Gerstle Cove to see what was going on there. The waves were very impressive and the tide was just starting to come back in, so they were only going to get bigger. One of the first things we noticed on the beach was that the log we had been setting our gear on for years was now moved. Plus there was a huge torn up tree stump and some other large logs now placed into the cove. The foam also showed a strong surface current.
attachment.php

Upon descending down towards the beach we found the stairs are all torn up. Something is going to need to be done about them, but the legalities are huge.
attachment.php

This wave caused me to move from my pretty high up position on the rocks to even higher ground. (The day before I yelled at someone "Wave, your in a bad spot" and she just looked at me, then went back to looking in the sand, 20 feet below the wet sand line. Needless to say she was wet 3/4 the way up her jeans, but at least she is alive :shakehead: The ocean is unforgiving with these conditions.
attachment.php

We sat on the bluff for a while watching the surf come pounding into the rocks. This wave was about 18' high. You can't even see a rock that sticks up about 12' out of the water.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sunset at Still Water Beach.jpg
    Sunset at Still Water Beach.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Gerstle Beach.jpg
    Gerstle Beach.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Gerstle Cove looking out.jpg
    Gerstle Cove looking out.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Gerstle Waves.jpg
    Gerstle Waves.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Stair case.jpg
    Stair case.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 145
  • Fern groove.jpg
    Fern groove.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Fort Ross Beach wave.jpg
    Fort Ross Beach wave.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 152
Excellent visual reporting! I never made it down to Ft. Ross, I think Albion was the furthest South I made it on North Coast. It's a shame that the Governator is closing all our state parks. Keep up all the good work!

Hi Peter,

You have a great philosophical approach to our endangered environment, especially our coastline. Very easy for this debris to enter the the ocean and cause permanent damage.

I would say you have the ecocentrism passion of ethics; all living organisms and their nonliving environment have an inherent value to live.

Many if not most Americans have the anthroprocentric view; the land and it's organisms are here for the benefit of us, only when this is threatened do we care.

Keep up the good work. I will be showing my environmental class tonight your thread with your pics. You illustrate the power behind one person making one idea move forward. It made it to scubaboard and now has touched me, and will be seen in an educational setting to my 30 students.

You see, Peter, you are making a change. :wink:

Thanks,

MG

amazing photos Peter. Can't remember ever seeing Ft Ross with no visible kelp off the point.

most inspiring! Give yourselves a serious pat on the back! Great work, and nice picture report.

Jeff, there is still kelp just not much. The guys attempting to go diving had kicked a ways out past the kelp line before they dropped. I can not imagine the vis was better than a couple of feet in 50' of water and probably surgy as heck all the way down. Shoot it was surging up the beach upwards of 30'. See picture with white water on the beach. Plus with bad vis who wants to surface swim in the landlords territory? We often scooter just a few feet away from the kelp line almost all the way out, then drop and keep heading out until we hit the sand, following the sand out.

You can see they are just passing the corner of the kelp line. This was shot from the Southern bluff with my 200mm lens at full zoom and totally cropped. They were a spot way out there.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Divers.jpg
    Divers.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 106
Crazy north coast divers :)

Thanks for the report Peter. I'm going to have to join you soon, specially since my daughters big enough to go camping with me.

Ben, you are always welcome to hang with us. There are often other kids in the group so you won't feel left out. Of course your daughter is welcome to do activities with the other kids too, and there is always an adult around to supervise (Make sure to ask politely if someone is willing to watch her, and offer to do the same for their kids at some point). I often lead adventure hikes with the kids (Very important job). People were afraid of the rain, and the fact that there was not going to be any diving, kept most at home. Those of us that took a chance on the weather came away with a nice camping trip. It wound up raining Friday night right as we were going to bed, then a couple drizzles here and there. The sun came out for quiet a while to shine upon us.

Thanks for the pictures! It looks beautiful! Also, thank you for picking up all the trash you could, its nice to know people are taking care of such a nice place.

jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom