Sony 2011 Cams & L&M

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, I'm posting here because my web browsers time out whenever I try to visit the L&M forum directly.

I just noticed on the L&M website that Bluefin housings do not support the 2011 sony models CX650 and 700, either of which I'm considering buying.

The main question I have is I'd like to know if there are plans to support the 2011 Sony cams or is sony gonna be dropped because they changed their electronics?

Check the Stingray G2 housing... it should support the 2011 models. I upgraded to one this year and am very pleased with it.

So my dealer talked with Light and Motion today and L&M will not be supporting the 2011 model Sony cameras. While L&M didn't say so, it appears to me as if they are dropping future support of Sony cams.

I may just end up buying a used 550 and then getting a 2010 L&M housing for it while there is still time to do so. L&M supports Canon but I'm not in the market for a Canon, all my research lead me to Sony's.

On the other side of the coin, the reason I wanted an L&M is because of future support of new cameras with slight mods if necessary. If they won't be supporting Sony's anymore than there really isn't any future support or incentive to stick with the brand... decisions decisions.

Find that pretty strange since their advertising for the Stingray G2 stated it supports all current and "future" Sony camcorders (at least I'm pretty sure it said something to that effect). But then Sony has made a few too many proprietary changes in the past few years. Perhaps that has become an issue for L&M. It certainly has been one for me. If they are just not supporting Sony on the Bluefin or other housing models, I can understand that a bit more.

The Stingray G2 supports various 2010 model Sony cams and sometime in the past 10 days their website removed verbiage indicating as much for the Bluefin/Pro housings tho they are still available but a custom order. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Sony changing electronics making it difficult for L&M to support. While the 2011 Sony models may not be supported, 2012 may be but the wording came across like the future of Sony support is uncertain. When I researched cameras the 2011's weren't out yet. Now that I'm starting my research all over again I'm finding that the 2011 model Canon HF G10 may be a viable contender to the CX 550 that I previously wanted and has some traits of the 700 as well, just not 1080p but I'm not sure I care about 1080p since I'm not filming high movement action underwater. L&M does support the G10. I've seen side-by-side footage of both the Sony and Canon 2011 models in a variety of conditions and both would make me happy tho the wider lens on the Sony would make me happier :)

There are other housings that support 2011 Sony's but I'm not sure I want a mechanical housing button design. The digital design of L&M seems superior to me.

Back
Top Bottom