Sony DSC-P10 vs Olympus 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeeze I missed one question, Kelp diver's question about the color shift. Here's a gallery of before and after pictures. Unfortunately they are from the Keys, you may get the idea. It's much more intense in New England pictures.

Gallery

I love the p-10 for its size, fits right in a pants pocket, and right in your BCD pocket. I've only dove with it several times, here is my best pic, I'm really happy, this eel shot was on a night dive too.

editPhotos.fcgi

Sean that gallery is locked.

Kelp Diver here's a before and after you can relate to.

Before

but are the corrections/before & after with Photoshop or similar? If so, are there relatively simple or automatic corrections available? I'm just dreading climbing another steep learning curve, after trying to figure out a new camera, continue to learn video, learning a new electronic record at work, etc., etc. My brain is getting full.....:huh:

Yes there is a learning curve. Unfortunatly that is one of the dirty little secrets of digital, every picture needs to be corrected if you want good pictures. I call it the dullness of digital. Once you figure out what works for your camera above and below the waves you can do close to the same thing every time. I can correct mine in under a minute per picture. Assuming no back scatter, that takes a little longer to remove.

A lot of people use the auto-levels but I have never seen that work correctly it always seems to over correct for my tastes. Better to control the process, every picture needs a little love.

Cecil once bubbled...
Alot of issue to address. First all my pictures are with the internal strobe, forced On, Low.

The bumper sticker is get the Sony if you want small and simple. If you are sure you want an external strobe or other accessories get the Olympus. Which leads into why I love the Sony, it allows me to be a diver if I want and not always a photographer. I can forget I even have the camera if I choose, not going to do that with a camera, arm and strobe. For this freedom do I give up good possibily great pictures, that is the debate.

Some things I know I can not photograph, anything inside 4"s and anything greater than 3' unless blue is OK. I also agree the Sony does shift to green and has limited depth of field. The first can mostly be correct in Photo Shop, for the second bracket the distance to your subject.

Cecil

Another fine point made. The last trip to Coz I rented a Sea&Sea DX3000 for three days. Found myself getting "lost in the moment" which happened to really be most of the dives. I was not paying attention to diving rather I was paying attention to setting up great shots or looking for that great shot. I am affraid that with a "real rig" I would be more prone to that type of behavior. It's very easy to ignore your buddy, my wife, and your gauges. That is something I have to work on. Your point about being a diver and having the ability to take photo's is more invinting to me than hauling around a "big rig" as I am no photographer...........just want to have some neat shots as keepsakes as well as for friends and family to enjoy.

Ok, yes I have had the P9 and P5, the P5 was sold the the dive resort when I left Belize in 2002, I have pictures with and without the orange underwater filter, the difference was amazing. That being said, sometimes I think the Sony's take better photo's sometimes the Olympus. Depends on what and where, I used two video lights when I finished diving with the Sony P9 *2 HVLML20M* I still have them if your interested. Remind with an email and I can dig up some photos. I went to the c5050 because I wanted manual control and I went to two yx90dx strobes. I have also used the S&S adapter so you can use their lenses along with a ys25dx, it was a cools setup. But again, i wanted more manual control. In the end I ended up getting a c50z because I wanted something small, so I ended up with a housing for it too, I haven't used it yet but I am very please with it. Email me if you have questions crawford at winisp dot net.

Travis

OK now it works, if you go to the Cairns albulm you will see more shots from my FIRST time using the p10 with no strobe. This picture has not been photoshoped. It is from a night dive, i'm very happyeel

Back
Top Bottom