Sony HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want to be a nudge but looks that Sony had or will discontinue the HC3 model . B&h does don't have them ant Broadway photo (where I bought my HC1 couple of moths ago) has them listed for $1200 (this camcorder was listed for $948 at the time I bought my HC1 that was $1300 at that time) , also Sony website had removed this camcorder. My intention is to alert the members of this forum that are looking to buy this camcorder for U/W use, because if Sony will do a major shift in their consumer line like removing LANK connection and also dropping the miniDV tape format and going for HDD only we are doomed and the only choice for us will be to go for the high end miniDV. I might be wrong but this is what I've learned from other forums.
Please post your input for the benefit of all our members and non members.
Thank you

If this is true, Sony may lose my business. I've purchased nothing but Sony camcorders for underwater work, but creating very short product lifetimes in combination with the usually dedicated housings for same is a road to disaster.

Can anyone verify this?

Haven't heard about it yet.
However, the local stores are short of HC3 and SR1, just because of the Christmas sales.
Bill, HC3 is better at dim environment, also the interface is more user friendly, other than that the Canon HV10 is a close match, have you ever considered it:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV10-Camcorder-Review.htm

BTW, HC3 is currently my 1st choice.
2007 is a year of consumer HD camcorders, there are probably more choices coming up in the near future.

I checked B&H's web site and they are no longer carrying it. I believe they said it is discontinued. Curses.

B&H is sold out of solo cameras, but still has packages in stock. We have both kits an camcorders too. I do expect this will dry up, but don't have a date.

The HC3 is the best underwater camera I've seen in a long time, maybe since the TRV-900? If you are in the market for something to house, I would get one while you can.

Just called the 4 closest Best Buys. Same story at all - out of stock and no more expected as it is discontinued.

Any other suggestions for a good starter underwater camcorder?

Thanks for the news.

I'm not sure this is signaling the death of our camcorders, but I'm getting some mixed signals on this. I'm thinking there is more in store but I'm no expert.

For example, despite software updates, the latest Vegas, just out, does not incorporate, for my HC-1, the tape logging capabilities you get when doing DV capture. That seems to indicate either something more drastic is happening or new standards are coming.

They also don't have support for the new ADHDV until mid '07.

I was wondering whether I should sell my camera/housing while it's worth something...

But then what? You have to get back on the boat sometime...

So ridiculous really. We really have few needs for white balance...god forbid LANC control... or even a freakin' button we don't have to pay double for.

Ryan - confused about your post. Are you recommending the Canon in in lieu of the HC3 since you cant find the HC3 any longer?

Hello All,

The HC3 is the best underwater camera I've seen in a long time, maybe since the TRV-900? If you are in the market for something to house, I would get one while you can.

I was in shock when I heard this news. So I did somthing I normally would not have. I turned to ebay... I just bought my HC3. Here she is Click here. I'll let you know how this story turns out.

Back
Top Bottom