Sony Marine Packs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGG_BUDD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hola Amigos,

I'm getting ready for an upcoming dive trip to Kauai. I have a Sony DSC-W7 and am looking at purchasing the MPK-WA underwater housing for it. Does anyone have experience with Sony housings? Are they worth the price tag? Any horror stories out there? My biggest fear is that I spring for this sucker and it hinders the flash, or the o-ring goes and it's a one-of-a-kind.

I know Ikelite offers a housing for the W7, so any feedback on Ikelite is also appreciated.

Peace Out.

I bought a Sony Marine Pack housing in the 80's for my first UW video outfit, and Sony lights. Never again. POS. Get a housing made by people familiar with UW use. Most camera mfrs housings are dedicated to a particular camera model too, which will be obsolete and unavailable after you inevitably flood it.

Ikelite has a long history of excellent service. I flooded a Canon SLR in an Ikelite housing, but only after years of use without maintenance (my fault).
I currently use an Ikelite housing for my Oly digital and an Ocean Images housing for my Sony 8mm video, happy with both. The video housing will take any camcorder with a LANC plug. The Ikelite Oly housing will take the 3040 I have and a few later models. So if either floods, I can replace the failed o-rings and still get a camera for it.

I have had a Sony marinepack for my p-9 for about four years. I have done about a 100 dives with it no problem. I check and lube the o-ring and soak the housing after saltwater and it has been faultless. I now am looking to move up but I can't complain about the sony housing at all.

rmannix:
I bought a Sony Marine Pack housing in the 80's for my first UW video outfit

Ummm...20 years ago? I think they might have improved a bit since then! :D I haven't heard of people having trouble with them these days. Take the normal care with them and I think they are just fine.

I've had one for a P-10 for a couple of years now. Lots of dives and not a single problem. Takes good photos and it's extremely simple. It fits in the thigh pocket of my drysuit as well. I don't think you could go wrong with one, if what you want is a small point and shoot camera. Just curious, you mentioned price tag. You should be able to get one for around $150, how much are you looking at?

From Sony it is $199, but I've found them online for as low as $129 new.

It looks like they've come a long way since the shabby housings of the 1980s. I think I'll give Sony a try. Thank you all for your feedback!

No issues with my P10 housing. Took it to 145ft last year(not a good idea) and no problems. 100+ dives so far with it. Seems to me it's more a "care" issue than a product one, and I'm tougher on my equipment than I should be. It will hold up to a 8ft giant stride entry so I'd say it's worth a try.

Jet

'Just posted my first photos, & thought it appropriate to respond to this thread, since I have now used my Sony DSC-150 & marine pak now for two week long trips. I can't rave enough about this rig - from the perspective that it is SO compact (never a problem getting in & out on recent shore diving in Bonaire) & that for the price & small size, it packs a lot of great features & functions - & all settings are accessible w/ marine pack buttons. I use the mpg movie feature a lot, & integrate jpg's & mpg's into computer edited movies - great way to remember a trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/31871

I have an old(5-6 years) MPK-P5 for my Sony P5 camera and it works great. Just keep an eye on the O-ring and rinse it well after saltwater dives.

Back
Top Bottom