Sony Marine Packs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outstanding pics. Thanks to all for the feedback. I've ordered it, and it is in the mail!

I was looking to upgrade to a digital camera and one that had a housing...just received my sony DSC-N1 and the MPK-NA marine pack. Going to Little Cayman in two weeks.

Can't wait to use this tiny little 8.l1 mega pixal camera and housing. I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone has used one of of these I'll accept any tips.

I got the P5 + housing years ago, attracted by the compact size and easy of use.
Got 100+ dives and it's still working great.

Thinking about getting the N1 + Marine Pack because the shutter lag is starting to bother me.

bubbleBob:
I got the P5 + housing years ago, attracted by the compact size and easy of use.
Got 100+ dives and it's still working great.

Thinking about getting the N1 + Marine Pack because the shutter lag is starting to bother me.
The other reason I got the N1 was because of the shutter lag was supposed to less with this camera. Worked good in a low light situation...I'll find out week after next about the diving when I head to little cayman for week.

I bought one before my trip to Cozumel last month for use with a DSC-W1. I was quite pleased, but am now thinking about getting the filter. Be sure to try movies. Also, when not using a flash be sure to bump the exposure, otherwise you have no chance to recover much color wise.

The pictures with the flash came out pretty well. Remember to turn off the low light distance finding thing. I still have a lot to learn. Next trip I think I'll let the movie mode roll while doing a roll dive off the boat just to see what I get.

I wish sony would release a software upgrade to allow you to do auto whitebalance settings at depth.
Oh, well. I wonder if it would also be possible to set different "film" speeds for the different color as that would also help.

Paul

Do you flyfish for trout? Need some trout flies? Checkouthttp://www.hookedonflies.com

I just got it in the mail. Although I haven't taken it to depth yet, I must say I am quite impressed with it. All of the camera functions work great, and it seems very sturdy. I've taken a couple of pictures with it and they are coming out fine. I look forward to finally getting it in the ocean.

Later.

I've not had a problem with fogging, but a few others have. one couple started putting one of those little desicant packs in. I did make sure to always put the camera in while in an "air conditioned" room to minimize problems.

The way to prevent fog is to minimize how long the camera is on. The LCD generates heat and will fog the case if it left on to long. The other things help (dry completely, seal in an AC room, and desicant packs) but to much internal heat will fog it. Been there, done that, ruined some dives.

I'm way late on this thread but I have been following it. I am a long time Sony user and have taken my P5 with Sony Marine Pak on many, many dives. No problems or issues. I flooded it once in fresh water (still fried the camera), I never find the reason and have used the UW case many times since.

I just got a DSC-P150 and UW case, so I was very happy to see P150 pictures. It will be getting wet in three weeks in Bonaire.

Also late to the thread but I don't think you can go to wrong. There may be better cameras and housings out there but I have the W7 with the marine pack and have had no problems so far. Its been to 40meters in 8degree water with no problems. Never had in problems with it fogging up either but I usually turn the camera off between shots.

P5 - in regular use since 2003, often down to 45m, still on the first o-ring after about 300+ dives between my son and I. The camera is used exclusively for diving and the shot counter already rolled over (at 9999) and is counting again from 1.
I found that the oring needs plenty of silicone grease, not just a film like many users recommend.
When I used just a thin film of grease I would occasionally get a couple of water drops and a friend had a more severe problem. Since then we both spread the silicone thickly and never had any more problems.

PS. Always use a couple of small dessicant packs to avoid fogging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom