Sony MPK-URX100A Housing for Sony RX100 M3 Pros/Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naufal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

As per titled. I'm planning to get the housing just because I don't want to spend a lot for older version camera. I was waiting for RX100 M8, or anything similar to be launched, but sadly, it didn't happened yet.

So, anyone of you guys/gals used this housing, is it okay to use it or it's something to avoid?

Picture, from Sony's website.
86e7075b750d2e7a3ed4096005dd17c4

Please do provide input.

Thanks.

It's an okay quality plastic housing, but it lacks a few key features:
  1. Vacuum system - very important in flood prevention. Main O-ring is also single - some other housings have double o-rings on the main door.
  2. Rear dial access - shooting in manual mode where you need to modify aperture and shutter speed will be annoying as you switch back and forth on the lens ring
On the low end of housings (i.e. not Nauticam), between Sony and SeaFrogs Salted Line, I'd go with SeaFrogs. It is somewhat more expensive and bulky, but it gives you a vacuum port (although the valve itself needs to be purchased separately), a port system, access to all controls, and ability to upgrade to M6/M7 in the future if you so desire.

Thank you, I didn't realized that the Sony housing doesn't have the rear dial access.

I'm reading about the SeaFrogs Salted Line. They have the normal and the Salted Line that's what I see.

Btw, does the Nauticam RX100 M1 compatible with M3? Because in my country, there's a fella selling his unused housing, and the price is nearly the same as SeaFrogs with all the shipping and macro port lens.

Edit: Also, how about Ikelite Housing? LINK is it any good and robust?

The 'normal' SeaFrogs housing is an older model that shares the Sony limitation of no rear dial access and no vacuum system. IIRC it has double o-rings on the rear door, but I'm not sure. It will fit models M1 through M5, but not M6/M7 because it lacks interchangeable ports.

I doubt Nauticam RX100 M1 housing will take the M3 model because their body design is substantially different. The SeaFrogs universal housing has replaceable internal parts to accommodate different models, and the Salted Line housing has dropped support for M1/M2 altogether. See here for a drawing: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0897/7576/files/S_1024x1024.jpg?v=1499398873

Can't speak for durability of the Ikelite housing as I've never used one, but their vacuum kit is kinda silly.

For the reference, I've had my SeaFrogs Salted Line A6xxx housing for a couple years now, 100-ish dives on it, no leaks or other issues.

Thank you. Now I'm considering between the SeaFrogs and Ikelite. I have local distro for Ikelite, but for SeaFrogs, I might have to order it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom