Sony MPK-WB for W80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sed6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all-
My first post on the forum. I'm new to diving having only completed a resort course at Pennecamp State park in FL, and I am just now completing my OW certification. Anyway, I have a Sony W80 digital camera and I'd like to get a waterproof housing for it. The only decent one I've seen is this one: Sony | MPK-WB Underwater Housing | MPK-WB | B&H Photo Video any thoughts on it, good or bad?

How about opinions on external flashes versus the built in one? Can I get away with the built in flash for my first few dives?

Thanks for any input!

-Scott
OKC, OK

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving and Underwater Photography.

Please head to our fabulous compilation of everything you need to know about UW Photography at the top of this forum (or from the Pink Link in my signature)...ok, not everything, but a heck of a lot of good information compiled from our members.

Inside the Sticky you will also find links to help you find places to buy gear and places to see what is available. I would guess that only Sony makes housings for your model, maybe Ikelite, but I'm not sure about that.

As you are a very new diver, I would first concentrate on getting your diving skills so they are second nature before adding anything more to your camera rig. Once you are able to control your diving and make your camera give you great shots, then start looking at expanding.

Yes, you should be able to get good results with only an internal flash. I haven't used this Sony unit, and Sony units aren't on my own personal favorites list for uw systems, but the general info will still apply. Get close, arm's length more or less. Get still and steady. Be patient. Learn to half press for focus lock and anticipate your subject.

If your camera has a manual white balance option, learn that, too.

But the most important factor in determining the quality of your photos is your diving - so get out there and dive as much as possible!

Have fun!

Thanks alcina! Your everything photo thread has a lot of great info for me to digest.

My lovely bride uses that same camera and housing. It works very well and is easy to use when diving. It by no means a professional setup but for snap shots underwater it works very well. The only issue for me is that it does not have a lens cap/protector.

Back
Top Bottom