Sony NEX-5, Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sony has now entered the mirrorless, EVIL camera race with the NEX-3/5 This image is with the NEX-5 in the Nauticam HA-NEX5 housing with the 16 mm pancake lens, fisheye adaptor, 110 mm (4.33") dome and two Inon Z-240 strobes.

Taken on the CASTOR wreck in Palm Beach County Florida, Mark the diver is using the Hasselblad H4D-50 MP camera and housing.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• _DSC1632.jpg
    _DSC1632.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,255
What did you think of the setup? I looked at the camera before I bought my new outfit but nobody had announced a new housing for if. I thought it might be a nice setup. Too bad I just bought my e-620

The Nauticam housing is outstanding and the Sony camera is every bit as good in terms of image quality as many DSLRs. I still like an optical view finder and would have picked the E-620 over the Sony.

Phil Rudin

How does it compare to using an E-PL1?

I have to agree with tripntx...

I've just read both of your reviews on the E-PL1 & the Nex-5, and was wondering what is your opinion on the comparison?

thanks for your insight

Both are excellent choices, With the Olympus/Panasonic lens set being very strong. The Nauticam housing is excellent but at a much higher cost than the Olympus. I would have no problem recommending both.

Phil Rudin

Finally decided to go with the Nex-5 setup.

Can't wait to get it wet in the next weeks !

How does it compare to using an E-PL1?

I've used both a NEX-5 and an EPL-1, although briefly for each.

I like the EPL-1 control layout better, and had a little trouble navigating the menus on the NEX-5 (I could always do what I wanted on the NEX, it just took more button presses than I would like). Image-wise, the two are comparable. I would need to get more experience on each to tell you which was better in image quality, because the difference is so small.

I just love a housing that is named "Naughty Cam." Makes me want to buy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom