Sony NEX-5, Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my housing recently as well. I had a question for you. How did you get the little camera tray out of the housing? Did you have to unscrew all the little screws, then only it comes off for you to attach to the camera? After that the little screws dont have to be back on right? It's the only last confusing part for me!

Not sure what little screws you mean. the camera base adapter is held in place by a plastic lever just to the right and below the tray. activate the lever and pull the camera tray out. then attach the tray to the bottom of the NEX-5 tripod threaded mounting hole. then slide the camera and tray into the housing making sure that the flash is up and that the on/off is in the off position and that it seats into the housings on/off control. There is a post at the back of the tray that is held on with 2 small screws, but I would not remove it. its purpose is to angle the monitor up at around 15 degrees for easy viewing when diving. if you are not angeling the monitor before attaching the camera to the tray it will not fit. that may be the confusion. you can remove the post, but then you will lose the advantage of the 15 degree up tilt. double check your manual, the manual is brief but covers everything of importance. Good luck

Guamrider, very nice pics posted, you really got them to pose for you. just got my naughty-evil Sony camera set up and getting ready to take it to Raja Ampat. the pics you listed, are these done without a diopter or closeup ? If you are doing the closeins with just the 18-85 Wow. also, whats you experience with the video? I just sold my old Seatool Sony HDR-HC3 HD camcorder, It took fantastic video, but i am gravitating more to stills now.I am hoping to get comparable video. I know the stills will be a big step up.I do not think I can whitebalane the video. I am hoping to compensate with a 67mm Auto Magic Filter attached to the 18-85 threaded adapter. Any experience?

Guamrider, are these done without a diopter or closeup ? If you are doing the closeins with just the 18-85 Wow. also, whats you experience with the video?

HI, for years I was mainly a videographer but I'm really having fun wih the Nex 5. I just returned from Malapascua and used the camera for both stills and video.

Since the only thing you can adjust (as far as I've read on it) in the video mode is the aperture. Everything else is auto. I'm not sure if this included the w/b but I tried to use "cloudy" for most of the shots. All shots were with the 18-55 and 2 Inon LE550 video video lights were mounted on the housing top center shoe.

I'm still experimenting with it but so far I'm reasonably satisfied. I'm just used to using a Canon hf-s11/Gates housing set up that I love.

Malapascua, 2011 on Vimeo

Hi everybody.

I'm very close to buying a Nex-5 and I have a couple of questions. I only have experience with compact cameras so I hope you can give me some guidelines as to when to use what lenses. From what I have been able to puzzle together the 18-55 mm port has threads onto which a 67mm thread wet macro lens can be fitted? I guess this would be the most useful setup for general diving... would this also be the case when shooting video? Do you have to detach the macro lens when shooting pictures at normal distances for the shots to be good?

Are there any other good camera candidates where there is an option to attach both WA and normal lenses in the water, i.e. wet lenses. From what I understand it has to be decided on the surface weather to use the WA or 18-55 option with this camera.

Thanks for any tips you have for a newbie like me, there are some really nice pictures in this thread so it would seem you know your stuff!

Hi everybody.

I'm very close to buying a Nex-5 and I have a couple of questions. I only have experience with compact cameras so I hope you can give me some guidelines as to when to use what lenses. From what I have been able to puzzle together the 18-55 mm port has threads onto which a 67mm thread wet macro lens can be fitted? I guess this would be the most useful setup for general diving... would this also be the case when shooting video? Do you have to detach the macro lens when shooting pictures at normal distances for the shots to be good?

Are there any other good camera candidates where there is an option to attach both WA and normal lenses in the water, i.e. wet lenses. From what I understand it has to be decided on the surface weather to use the WA or 18-55 option with this camera.

Thanks for any tips you have for a newbie like me, there are some really nice pictures in this thread so it would seem you know your stuff!

Lubedal, The 18-55 does not come with a threaded mount. there is a snap on adapter that need be purchased to use with a 67mm macro lense, or what I am also trying is a 67mm auto magic filter. when you buy the snap on adapter it is easier to snap on/ off than having to work with screwing the threads underwater. There is another port. the one for the pancake lense that I believe comes with the threads already on it. Its the only port I do not currently own. They are also comming out with( may already be out) a E series macro lense. The macro lens only works on close ups and does need to be taken off for other images.

There is some trade off using interchangable lens Vs. wetmounts. Most dives, however, you have a good idea of what you want to shoot. so loss of wetmount flexibilty is not as big an issue as I at first thought it would be and the higher quality of the images more than makes up for it. The 18-55 with the macro adapter is the most vesatile and you could get by just fine without any other port/lens combo. However, if you are going to be shooting some big pelagics like mantas or some great vistas like Fijis white wall, of close focus wide angle then you will need the dome port.

Size of traditional DSLR was always what held me back. With the advent of EVIL, I had not reason not to step up. If youve done the point and shoot its probably time to step up. I started with the Canon G-3 then the G-5 and finally G-10. Then with Sony Hi-Def Video. Loved them all, but this Naughty Evil combo is a big improvement.

You can always call and talk to the dealer you plan on purchasing from. These guys now their stuff and are very willing to help.

K

HI, for years I was mainly a videographer but I'm really having fun wih the Nex 5. I just returned from Malapascua and used the camera for both stills and video.

Since the only thing you can adjust (as far as I've read on it) in the video mode is the aperture. Everything else is auto. I'm not sure if this included the w/b but I tried to use "cloudy" for most of the shots. All shots were with the 18-55 and 2 Inon LE550 video video lights were mounted on the housing top center shoe.

I'm still experimenting with it but so far I'm reasonably satisfied. I'm just used to using a Canon hf-s11/Gates housing set up that I love.

Malapascua, 2011 on Vimeo

G- Again the stills are impressive. The video playback was choppy, so hard to really evaluate. Dont know its uploaded that way, or a problem with my side viewing it. I edit with Sony Vegas pro and had this problem with rendering the full HD on the NEX 5. I upgraded and all is now smooth as silk. Like you I have always been into the Video with a Seatool and Sony Hdr-HC3. The video was excellant and I felt like betraying an old friend selling it. The stills were Ok, but not what I was wanting. The Nex-5 is killer, just need to get to know it better.
Your first cuttel fish flash pic that goes to the Video really shows the differance. The video lost all the color and went to blues and grays. I now have 2 Sola 600 lights to see if I cant get the color back in. I am also going to try an Auto Magic Filter. Im looking into WB the video. I just bough an aftermarket comprehensive guide on the NEX-5 . Ill let you know if I find anything.

Lubedal, The 18-55 does not come with a threaded mount. there is a snap on adapter that need be purchased to use with a 67mm macro lense, or what I am also trying is a 67mm auto magic filter. when you buy the snap on adapter it is easier to snap on/ off than having to work with screwing the threads underwater. There is another port. the one for the pancake lense that I believe comes with the threads already on it. Its the only port I do not currently own. They are also comming out with( may already be out) a E series macro lense. The macro lens only works on close ups and does need to be taken off for other images.

There is some trade off using interchangable lens Vs. wetmounts. Most dives, however, you have a good idea of what you want to shoot. so loss of wetmount flexibilty is not as big an issue as I at first thought it would be and the higher quality of the images more than makes up for it. The 18-55 with the macro adapter is the most vesatile and you could get by just fine without any other port/lens combo. However, if you are going to be shooting some big pelagics like mantas or some great vistas like Fijis white wall, of close focus wide angle then you will need the dome port.

Size of traditional DSLR was always what held me back. With the advent of EVIL, I had not reason not to step up. If youve done the point and shoot its probably time to step up. I started with the Canon G-3 then the G-5 and finally G-10. Then with Sony Hi-Def Video. Loved them all, but this Naughty Evil combo is a big improvement.

You can always call and talk to the dealer you plan on purchasing from. These guys now their stuff and are very willing to help.

K

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer! Seems like the 18-55 port + snap on adapter + macro wet lens is a good and versatile combination for most dives. I thoroughly enjoyed using my simple compact camera but I always wanted something like this...it finally broke so now I have to put some money aside for this :)

As far as the magic filter is concerned, will this still help even if you have strobes?

I'll probably get the wide angle + fish eye conversion lens + fish eye dome port later on... would be good for sharks/mantas/big fish, general reef footage and wreck diving I presume (which are all as you say dives where you'll know what to expect to a certain degree).

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the w/b whilst filming from reading your post right above this one as well as a new topic about it I saw you started, I will be following this closely and scour whatever information I can. I shalt leech info!

Again thanks for the reply.

Lubedal,

I was in a similar situation about 6 months ago and finally splurged and purchased the full kit e.g. 18-55 + port and wide angle + fish eye + dome. I was shooting with P&S underwater and a DSLR above before then and both me and my wife thoroughly enjoyed using the setup, and actually left the DSLR behind even on the surface. We also only had one strobe which I guess is ok when starting, but I'll be looking at purchasing another one before the next dive trip.

If you are moving to this bigger rig from a P&S my advice would be to look closely at the buoyancy of your setup before leaving on the trip.

Enjoy the camera and the trip. It's a great combo... For me fish-eye was the greatest discovery and hesitated a bit to purchase it... but it wouldn't have been the same trip without it

Feel free to check out pics taken by a relative newbie on this setup on the first trip it made out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elecompte/sets/72157625891083376/with/5381892119/

Enjoy... can't wait to get back in the water!:)

DM

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your thorough answer! Seems like the 18-55 port + snap on adapter + macro wet lens is a good and versatile combination for most dives. I thoroughly enjoyed using my simple compact camera but I always wanted something like this...it finally broke so now I have to put some money aside for this :)

As far as the magic filter is concerned, will this still help even if you have strobes?

I'll probably get the wide angle + fish eye conversion lens + fish eye dome port later on... would be good for sharks/mantas/big fish, general reef footage and wreck diving I presume (which are all as you say dives where you'll know what to expect to a certain degree).

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the w/b whilst filming from reading your post right above this one as well as a new topic about it I saw you started, I will be following this closely and scour whatever information I can. I shalt leech info!

Again thanks for the reply.

The magic filter is used instead of a strobe or video lights. check out the magic filetr site( not sure the address chcek goolge). I will be using it just for video and only at distance. For close in video I will remove the maagic filter and I have two Sola 1200 video lights and a fisheye Fix 20 . my experience with the Magic filters is that without extra lighting it really restores color nicely at about 12 to 45 feet. There is also a filter called the Auto Magic that requires no white balancing at all.

As far as white balance with stills, I am just going to use strobes ( inon D2000) and shoot in RAW format. The beauty of RAW is that you can set the whitebalance in post production.

All the best

Lubedal,

I was in a similar situation about 6 months ago and finally splurged and purchased the full kit e.g. 18-55 + port and wide angle + fish eye + dome. I was shooting with P&S underwater and a DSLR above before then and both me and my wife thoroughly enjoyed using the setup, and actually left the DSLR behind even on the surface. We also only had one strobe which I guess is ok when starting, but I'll be looking at purchasing another one before the next dive trip.

Thanks for the info, really really nice pictures, Galapagos is one of the places I've always wanted to visit! On my bucket list for sure :)

I'll probably focus on getting just the camera right and one port as I need to buy a lot of other stuff over the next year (including a complete set of diving gear), but I'm definitely looking for a system I can build on for later use.

The magic filter is used instead of a strobe or video lights. check out the magic filetr site( not sure the address chcek goolge). I will be using it just for video and only at distance. For close in video I will remove the maagic filter and I have two Sola 1200 video lights and a fisheye Fix 20 . my experience with the Magic filters is that without extra lighting it really restores color nicely at about 12 to 45 feet. There is also a filter called the Auto Magic that requires no white balancing at all.

As far as white balance with stills, I am just going to use strobes ( inon D2000) and shoot in RAW format. The beauty of RAW is that you can set the whitebalance in post production.

All the best

I want to get two strobes right away, and probably video lights as well as I like to shoot both stills and vids. Didn't know there existed filters that actually restores color that well over distance, I though one had to use the white balance for that, will definitely be looking to get me one of those as well then.

As I said I'll probably end up broke by the end of the year seeing as I have to buy my diving gear as well (I've only dived abroad before on liveaboards), so I'm wondering, how does this set-up with the nauticam or similar housing compare to the E-PL2 with the much cheaper housing. I care mostly for quality seeing as I'll probably keep the set-up for a long time, however the cameras don't seem to be that different from reviews I've read but the housing is muuuch cheaper for the E-PL2. What tipped the scale towards the NEX-5 for you guys compared to the competition?

I just need some info to "justify" the expensive set-up for the NEX-5 :eyebrow: thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom